Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Please help : UPS only delivers when I'm not at home

I am so frustrated right now with the US Mint & UPS. I have no option since the US Mint uses them to deliver my package, yet UPS will not deliver past 5pm (I have a normal 9-5 job) & UPS won't deliver on Saturday's. They've tried twice to deliver, and will try again on Monday (big surprise, I won't be here). They will then keep it at their "local" depot, which is over 20 miles away (and again, how am I to get there during "normal" M-F business hours?)

I've called customer service, and they won't leave it at a neighbors house (apparently the shipper won't allow this), nor will they leave it at a UPS Store close by (again, UPS says it's the shippers requirement).

so I'm pretty much stuck, and after it sits at the depot 20 miles away, they will return to sender.

so what's the solution? (probably have to rent a PO Box at a UPS store, right? great, i have to pay $ to receive packages that I've already paid shipping charges)

Mark

Comments

• Options
    AmigoAmigo Posts: 966

I take any deliveries of any kind at my home. I trust delivery drivers any more than I do servers at Taco Bell.

IF shippers won't ship to my POB, I give them a local UPS store that I have pre-arranged deliveries. I have done this at two stores now. I don't need to rent a box. HOwever, they do charge me $5 for each delivery. Once delivered , they call me to let me know it arrived.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so what's the solution? (probably have to rent a PO Box at a UPS store, right? great, i have to pay $ to receive packages that I've already paid shipping charges

Try explaining to the UPS store that you already paid for the delivery and that you therefore shouldn't have to pay for the UPS store's services. They'll like that.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when does your 20 miles away depot close? mine is open until 7 or 7-:30
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you change the delivery to you work address?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call and explain the issue to the customer service rep.
    When they can't help you, due to their policies, politely ask for their supervisor. Express how upsetting it is since you use their services and yet you are unable, during their normal business hours, to receive any packages sent through their service.

The local UPS depot here stays open until 8pm. They don't open until 10am for pickups. I have been frustrated more than a few times and I finally called and had a "friendly" chat with them.
    The local deliveries sometimes go past 5pm and you may be able to get them to do that for you.

In lieu of that, you may be able to have the deliveries redirected to a local UPS store for pickup. Not renting a box there, but just redirected for pickup. I have done this with Fedex. Adds an extra 1-2 days to your delivery, but it can work.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you change the delivery to you work address?

bobimage >>

grab a cookie bob on best reply simply put
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 words

ups my choice

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    get a po box
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see what Keets thinks. image
    And choose the last option. (call in sick from normal job when STRESS creates drama)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>get a po box >>

UPS doesn't normally deliver to PO boxes.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am so frustrated right now with the US Mint & UPS. I have no option since the US Mint uses them to deliver my package, yet UPS will not deliver past 5pm (I have a normal 9-5 job) & UPS won't deliver on Saturday's. They've tried twice to deliver, and will try again on Monday (big surprise, I won't be here). They will then keep it at their "local" depot, which is over 20 miles away (and again, how am I to get there during "normal" M-F business hours?)

I've called customer service, and they won't leave it at a neighbors house (apparently the shipper won't allow this), nor will they leave it at a UPS Store close by (again, UPS says it's the shippers requirement).

so I'm pretty much stuck, and after it sits at the depot 20 miles away, they will return to sender.

so what's the solution? (probably have to rent a PO Box at a UPS store, right? great, i have to pay $ to receive packages that I've already paid shipping charges)

Mark >>

I'd just have the stuff sent to your local USPS store marked to your attention and with a number to call on arrival.

Mr. Nice Nooker
    c/o UPS
    1234 Message Board Ave.
    Somewhere, Anywhere 12345

call on arrival 999-1111

or something to that effect

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    three choices that i see:

1. deal with it and pick up at the UPS depot.
    2. have it delivered to where you're at during the day or to a trusted friend/relative.

and my personal choice.....................

3. never leave the house till the package arrives. image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    You're not looking well to me, you may have to take a sick day on Monday. Then stop buying from the Mint!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...nothing left to do but quit the hobby. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

bobimage >>

good idea. ive had tools and the sorts delivered to my work addy.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

bobimage >>

good idea. ive had tools and the sorts delivered to my work addy. >>

Not all businesses want/allow employees to have personal items sent to their work. Mine doesn't. Not since 9/11 occurred.
    Also, if someone does do it, it is likely to be opened to be inspected. Most of us wouldn't want that to happen to something from the USMint......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the times for pick up again. I think they all stay open later than you posted just so working stiffs can stop by after work.image

BTW the rules recently changed about UPS delivering to Post Office boxes they do now.

• Options
    My biggest complaint is when any seller doesn't give you a choice of mail carrier when you first order an item. So far, any item that I've bought off the bay has always come USPS.If an item is ordered elsewhere on the net,I always insist on USPS or they don't get the order.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Whats the big deal? image

You KNOW that the US Mint ships via UPS yet you order anyway so just make the drive. If it were 50 miles or more, then it would be a different story and, if you regularly order from the Mint, getting a local PO Box might work. A local Mail Boxes Etc. Type store has minimal charges and they can sign in your behalf. The Post Office will not so you'd have to make the trip to the Post Office.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick it up during your lunch hour.
    Lance.
  • Options
    HotfootspinHotfootspin Posts: 430 ✭✭
    Most UPS depots are open until 7, some later. As some have suggested, you could run over there at lunch, depending on your employer's rules.

If you really want the package, you'll make it happen, instead of requiring that everyone else jump through the hoops.

Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the old days I seem to remember intercepting the shipment and tagging it for pickup at the local UPS depot. Sure it was a 20 minute drive, but it was the simplest way for me.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

bobimage >>

This!
    I have the same problem sometimes (when the wife is not at home).
    Though, it costs $5 to change delivery address.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    If I missed it posted already please excuse, but my post office, and maybe yours too, allows saturday morning pick up of packages 8:30 to noon I think. 20 miles is a fair way to drive but at least it's an option.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It obviously must differ per location, as my UPS will allow personal pickup from 8:30A thru 3:30P only. If commercial, then from
    7:00A to 5:00P with no Saturday pick up at all. Frustrating at best. They used to be afternoon only, but that changed many years
    ago.
    I would call the Mint and see if they could possibly help as the shipper. I can't imagine your boss not being sympathetic and allowing a few
    extra minutes at lunch for you to make the trip. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I hear you. 52 mile trip for me with UPS. I hate it.

My PO Box is $5/month. Go by now and then to clean the junk mail out. Or just buy from vendors who ship US mail.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The driver got paid for doing the job. It' a difficult situation. The company charges the sender and they did their job flawlessly. That's how we got here. The stress is real. The drama isn't created. The person buys something and he waits. However, when he finishes the day, like most people, he finds a slip of paper that basically says :
    " Sorry, your package stopped by, but you were not here".
    From my perspective,
    A UPS store would do well to also have a business called UPS PIZZA & Pasta.
    Slogan: " Iffa we pasta pizza paper ona your door, ...uh, You getta Free Delivery witha your nexta Pizza."
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I can get UPS and Fedex at my USPS PO box now. Many PO's now offer a real street address instead of just a PO box#. That allows UPS and FEdex to deliver. The fedex guys didn't know about that at first and I got a phone call from the delivery guy asking about it. Once they figured it out, everything works fine.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To have a hobby that attracts the potential for unsolicited negative attention and to safeguard oneself through he use of a PO Box

seems the easy answer.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    thanks everybody for your input. Seems I need to somehow make the trip to the UPS depot in the next 5 days. Oh ya, they are also a M-F 9-5 operation, so it's an extended lunch for me i guess. I can't accept packages at my work (huge company, with massive & numerous buildings. Tens of thousands of people. That would be a definite way to get it lost.)

As far as knowing the mint only uses UPS, that's not true. Sometimes I get things from the Mint with FedEx, other times UPS, or USPS. I need to see if there is a way I can insist on them not using UPS.

Today (the final delivery attempt), I left a note on the door to redeliver to my neighbor, who also stopped the UPS guy when he was here, and tried to get my package. No go. The UPS guy wrote on the delivery slip today "No Re-direct, per sender"

You would think this order is thousands of dollars of precious metals. It's not. That's what's strange.

I guess I'm going to look into getting a PO box.

Mark
  • Options
    As another poster suggested, sign up for UPS My Choice (it is free). You can set different options for delivery that may work for you.
    He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it. ~ Douglas Adams
  • Options
    funny thing about UPS My Choice. I had signed up, and the only option I had on this shipment was "Return to Sender"

A little more info on this : Since this was a purchase over $300, I got the free shipping upgrade to UPS 2nd Day Air. Seems the Mint requires a pint of blood, my first born child and a signature to receive $300 of goods.
  • Options
    another crazy addendum to this story . . .

So my original order from the Mint was for over $300, so they gave me the free "upgrade". everything was shipped UPS expedited, except a $12.95 ATB set, which just came out this week.

Guess what, they sent that $12.95 set the same way, so now I got another undelievered notice from UPS on my door yesterday.

i'm not going thru the same hassle to go pick up this inexpensive item, so I'm going to see what happens when the thing gets returned to the Mint. Will they contact me? Will they just cancel that part of the order when it gets returned?

we'll see . . ..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file