Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp 1816, Saxony Silver Thaler on host coin

Hello,

Just won this one. I see what looks like a host coin underneath. The edges are not normal either. Any ideas of where I should start hunting to figure out what it is? Or, Do you know?
Seller's pics. I will try to take better pics of the undertype when it arrives. I do see a strong "K" right by the Eine and possibly a B before Zehn and other letters under Zehn.

The seller had listed this as a variety for the edge. Not as one struck on a host. But, I thought I saw a bit more to it.

Thanks,
Richard

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    That looks suspiciously like the pattern on the edge of an old Pillar Spanish 8 Reales piece...
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    DeiGratiaDeiGratia Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That looks suspiciously like the pattern on the edge of an old Pillar Spanish 8 Reales piece... >>

+1

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    That is very intriguing. I did not know that Saxony used host coins. Neat thread!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not know they used host coins either- very interesting coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. Looks like a piece of eight got itself Germanized. Very interesting.

The Saxony strike looks nice. I take it it has some luster?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting. It does look like a pillar (columnario) edge.
  • Options
    On the other hand, I can't think of a non-German coin that would include a "K" anywhere in its legend.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    Edge aside (along with my limited knowledge of these thalers), my first inclination was that it's overstamped on a similar coin. The K is the same font, and if you rotate the coin around to match the K with the one in MARK, the last E of FEINE matches up above the Z of ZEHN, creating those marks, and the N of FEINE almost aligns just right with the shape to the left there. Plus, there appears to be a shape to the right of the crown that would then correspond to the G in "I.G.S.".

This guess doesn't explain the capital "i" shape between H and N of ZEHN, though, nor the shape at 7:00 on the reverse. It's hard to tell just from these photos.

960 Coins - Rare and high quality 960 Reis overstrikes and counterstamps from Brazil and more.
    http://blog.960coins.com - All about the 960 Reis coins.
    Check my BST!
  • Options

There isn't a coin i can think of outside of England and the German states that would have a "K" on it.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    gummibeargummibear Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I did a trace over that shows the K is pretty much identical. some of the other markers do line up but others don't seem to. The edge makes no sense yet though. Maybe double struck on the original host coin?
    It should be very interesting to see it in person and see what else shows.

Thanks for all the input. I will post my photos as soon as i get it.
    Richard

<< <i>Edge aside (along with my limited knowledge of these thalers), my first inclination was that it's overstamped on a similar coin. The K is the same font, and if you rotate the coin around to match the K with the one in MARK, the last E of FEINE matches up above the Z of ZEHN, creating those marks, and the N of FEINE almost aligns just right with the shape to the left there. Plus, there appears to be a shape to the right of the crown that would then correspond to the G in "I.G.S.".

This guess doesn't explain the capital "i" shape between H and N of ZEHN, though, nor the shape at 7:00 on the reverse. It's hard to tell just from these photos.

image >>