Home Sports Talk
Options

Fan shouts "racial slur" at a baseball game. Cops investigate, identify and punish the fa

digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
fan called Carl Crawford a "monday".

I grew up in the 'hood, but I never heard the word "monday" being used as an insult, let alone a racial slur.

I personally find it surprising that the cops took the time to investigate this, and managed to pin-point the fan (among thousands) and bust him.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    I really want to be careful with my reply, as I think the "fan" was/is a dbag for his actions, but why on Earth is this a crime?? If he had called him a "fat, overpaid f**k", would that have been any more/less offensive an act?
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    al032184al032184 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭
    I've never heard of that, but apparently it is used as a racial slur.
    Text
    .. stupid people these days.
  • Options

<< <i>I've never heard of that, but apparently it is used as a racial slur.
    Text
    .. stupid people these days. >>

Never heard of it either and that link didn't help me either.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if the police would have investigated, identified and punished the fan if instead of using the word "Monday" he had used the word "cracker", "wonderbread", "milktoast", "honkey", "whitey" or "earthbound" (white guys can't jumpimage).
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being a member of a law enforcement agency there is no such thing as "Free Speech" you are held to a higher standard, the same goes for a state official as well. The comment "Monday" is one of the most stupid things ive heard of being a racial slur, however Im not African American so I guess I dont have a right to decide whether its offensive or not but I will say this I think Crawford is being a bit too defensive and to make such a deal out of this to the point of going to stadium officials to pin point this guy is ridiculas, it would be one thing if the guy yelled the "N" word at him but a "Monday" ?? Crawford has been one of the biggest busts in recent memory and I got zero problem with someone ragging on him and in his mind he should expect it and understand it, but again I dont see the comment as being racial and if it is a racial slur and was meant to be hurtfull in that way then the off duty police officer should know better and he put himself in the position he is now in.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I still find it surprising that an investigation was carried out in the first place to determine who said what. I didn't realize that the authorities investigated this sort of stuff.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    Baseball - I might be one of the few that has heard the term "Canadian" before....

For those that might not know the origin of "Monday" as a racial term....go to YouTube and search "Nobody Likes Mondays" and find the Russell Peters clip.

IMO, other than Russell Peters defining it as a racist term, someone could have easily coined the term "Monday" to refer to anything that he didn't like. The cop probably meant it as Russell Peters defined it, but he could have just have easily been referring to not liking "grossly overpaid .250 hitters, with little power and diminishing speed". I don't like those types of guys on my team either, whether black or white.

Coincidentally, the cop is from the town where I grew up. Not exactly the best way for the city to make the national news.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty lame on Crawford's part to make such a stink as to have authorities get involved. Never heard the term in my many years on this planet and living in Atlanta for well over 20+++ years. Worked side by side with a ton of black guys, both in the military and in the professional world...cannot recall the term "Monday" ever being used. Had the guy shouted something really heavy, I would go along with all the fuss and expect him to get hammered. But, Monday? Please!!

I once hollered to Mickey Mantle in the triangle area of Fenway Park as he hustled for a ball...I called him a "bum", big words for a young kid back then. I guess I should have been given 10 years of hard labor for that comment. And yes, he had to hear me, he was less than 10 feet away.

Too many thin-skinned prima donnas out there. Can you imagine what Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron and many others took back when? Terrible!! "Monday" just sounds pretty weak to me. Shame on you Carl for making it an issue instead of sucking it up and just letting it go. No high road for you.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey baseball...

"to change your attitudes, and not for the rest of the world to tolerate your antiquated views just because they were acceptable when you grew up.

Get a grip...I was not alive "then" either, NOR do I condone or accept any form of racial comments. You, in your little mypopic mind decided to interpret my statement as "antiquated views". You could not be more wrong in your viewpoint of what I wrote. BTW, no racial comments of any form were accepted when I grew up.

Get a life!!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean Garfield was a racist? I feel like I've just been robbed of my childhood!

All joking aside, it's pretty despicable what this guy did... there's no room for racial bigotry in this world and it shouldn't be tolerated.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if "day after Sunday" would be racist too?

I'm going to start calling some chicks "Friday."
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    .....okay, so should i add "monday" to the list of words i can't use now? I feel like i have to walk on eggshells enough as it is every time the word monkey, ape, boy, shine, jungle (etc...) or even black slips out of my mouth no matter what the context.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.....okay, so should i add "monday" to the list of words i can't use now? I feel like i have to walk on eggshells enough as it is every time the word monkey, ape, boy, shine, jungle (etc...) or even black slips out of my mouth no matter what the context. >>

Big list of racist songs

The Mama's and the Papas, The Carpenters and Louis Armstrong highlight the list for me as people I didn't realize were racist.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I refuse to consider a word offensive to any race of people, when that same race uses the same term to describe themselves. Absurd...
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    I've never heard the word use as a racial slur in my 30 plus years of life. I suppose it's something new or regional. I'm from California and just moved from Missouri to North Carolina.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never heard the word use as a racial slur in my 30 plus years of life. I suppose it's something new or regional. I'm from California and just moved from Missouri to North Carolina. >>

I was born in Maine, raised in Massachusetts (unfortunately), went to college in Vermont, and now live in NH...and I have never heard of using Monday, or any other day of the week, to refer to anyone of any race.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I suppose you could call the right kind of girl a Wednesday.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    lol, big d...