Home Precious Metals
Options

Shipwreck silver

48 Tons of Silver From WWII Shipwreck
An American company has made what is being called the heaviest and deepest recovery of precious metals from a shipwreck. The Tampa, Fla.-based Odyssey Marine Exploration announced Wednesday that it had recovered 48 tons of silver bullion from the SS Gairsoppa, a sunken British cargo ship three miles underwater off the coast of Ireland. Between the Gairsoppa, torpedoed by a German U-boat during World War II, and the SS Mantola, sunk by a German submarine during World War I, Odyssey said in a press release that about 240 tons of silver may be recovered by the end of the operation.

Sorry if already posted somewhere
Kip
UCSB Electrical Engineering....... USCG and NASA

Comments

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read about it. It's an
    interesting story !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there goes silver prices
  • Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    only to be confiscated by the local Gov....lol........Spain comes to mind.
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    I had to unload a half ton of silver last spring to pay off my ex-wife. The price at that time was $46 an oz. and silver has slid ever since due to me flooding the market so I expect 240 tons will push it back to $5 an oz. image
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    What's the name of the company that's recovered gold treasures off Florida. They have a museum in Key West....
    Is this the same outfit?
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the name of the company that's recovered gold treasures off Florida. They have a museum in Key West....
    Is this the same outfit? >>

Mel Fisher found the Atocha in the Keys and has the museum. Not related to Tampa's Odyssey. Fisher was the preeminent treasure hunter in his day and found some storied wrecks.
    I like visit his museum when I'm down in KW, although some losers stole one of the Atocha gold bars from the museum a couple of years ago. image