Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Temporarily OT - I will post my coin newps here later, but in the meantime, check this out (COINS AD

I'll post today's newps here later, but in the meantime, here's something off-topic but interesting.

Ladymarcovan's car required a new set of tires before our upcoming vacation trip, so it was my assignment to take it to town today and do that. Victoria came along with me, and after fifteen minutes of dawdling in a dumpy small waiting room with uncomfortable chairs and no Coke machine on a sultry July day, we decided to dash across the busy four-lane Altama Avenue to the Target shopping center to kill some time while the car was on the rack. There's a PetSmart there and Victoria is critter-crazy like the rest of us here, so I figured what the heck. It's air conditioned and basically a small, free zoo.

We'd only just gotten across Altama and were in front of the Michael's craft store in the parking lot when Victoria said to me, "Daddy, look! A big long line!"

Huh? I was looking at the lines painted on the sizzling pavement. There was no line of people in front of the store.

Then she pointed to the sky.

Yep. There was a line there, all right. A big, long line.

It was awesome in the true sense of the word... as in a feeling of awe. Scary and fascinating at the same time. No wonder Victoria was worried. (But, to give her credit, not panicky or crying or anything like that.) I cursed the fact I didn't have a camera with me, but a lady standing next to us shot this picture on her cellphone, and emailed it to me later.

Back at the shop some two hours later, with the car coming down off the rack, I was discussing this with the man next to me, and he had gotten some pictures from somebody else via Facebook. Somebody much closer to the action. Check out this awesome shot. Must've been a professional who captured that, or somebody lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. I knew right away where that picture was taken- it's part of my drive to work every day.

That was our drama for the day.

My new coins will follow later this evening, or in the wee hours, maybe. Gotta head off to work soon.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow thats crazy. I think those are the biggest things I have a fear of nature wise. Hurricanes I am not a fan of either.

I live in california so I am used to earthquakes. I would much rather deal with it then the two mentioned above.
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waterspout. I've them before on Lake Erie.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive seen where those have dropped fish inland at times many miles from the source. Not here in ND of course, but on Discovery Channel, we just get tornados and blizzards.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, neat little waterspout!
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Cool! Thanks for sharing.
    Becky
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's some news video on our waterspout, and then that's enough about that.

Now, some of my latest coin purchases. image

First, this. After 36 years of collecting, I've just set my "oldest coin" date back. (My previous oldest one was probably the Corinthian stater I had from Aethelred years ago.) I dig griffins. Lord Marcovan (the D&D character) used to ride one into battle, for what that's worth (nothing).

<< <i>Teos, Ionia, 510 - 490 B.C.

Silver trihemiobol, Balcer 62, Weber 6209, SNG Von Aulock 2258, SNG Cop 1439, Klein -, Rosen -, BMC -, Asyut -, VF, 1.468g, 10.5mm, Teos mint, 510 - 490 B.C.; obverse griffin seated right, forepaw raised; reverse quadripartite incuse square, bold partition lines forming cross, irregular shapes within incuse quarters; scarce >>

Next, this. I also dig desert patina, and if you add a cool classical design and an eagle into the equation, so much the better.

<< <i>Seleucid Kingdom, Antiochus VIII Grypus, 125 - 96 B.C.

Bronze AE 19, Houghton-Lorber II 2300(1)f, VF, 5.489g, 18.9mm, 0o, Antioch on the Orontes mint, 121 - 120 B.C.; obverse radiate and diademed head of Antiochos VIII right, one diadem end waving up behind, the other forward over shoulder; reverse BASILEWS ANTIOCOU / EPIFANOUS, eagle standing left on thunderbolt, lotus tipped scepter transverse under right wing, IE monogram left, date BϘP and murex (on right) in ex; attractive desert earthen highlighting on a dark green patina

Antiochus VIII Grypus (Hook-Nose) was crowned as a teenager, ruling jointly with his mother Cleopatra Thea. In 121 B.C., one day when he returned from a hunt, his mother offered him a cup of wine. Since this was not common behavior for her, Grypus was suspicious and forced her to drink the wine; poisoned, it killed her. Grypus fought a civil war with his brother that ended with his murder. >>

Then this. You'll notice I've "avatarized" it.

<< <i>Seleucid Kingdom, Philip I Philadelphos, 93 - 83 B.C.

Silver tetradrachm, Houghton-Lorber II 2463(2 - 3), SNG Spaer 2799 and 2805 ff., VF, rainbow toned, 15.862g, 26.9mm, 0o, Antioch mint, obverse diademed head right, fillet border; reverse BASILEWS / FILIPPOU EPIFANOUS / FILADELFOU, Zeus enthroned left, Nike in right crowning him with wreath, long scepter vertical in left, F/A left, , laurel border

Philip I Philadelphus was the fourth son of Antiochus VIII Grypus. He took the diadem in 95 BC together with his older brother (probably twin) Antiochus XI Ephiphanes, after the eldest son Seleucus VI Epiphanes was killed by their cousin Antiochus X Eusebes. He established himself in Antiochia after 92 B.C. and survived attacks from younger brother Demetrius III Eucaerus. His rule ended in 83 B.C. when Tigranes conquered Syria, or earlier. He disappears from history at that point, but coins bearing his portrait were issued later by Roman authorities. >>

Last but not least, this, which was quite inexpensive. Desert patina again, plus a cool counterstamp.

<< <i>Tarsos, Cilicia, c. 164 - 37 B.C.

Bronze AE 21, BMC Cilicia p. 180, 106; SNG Cop 333 - 341; SGCV II 5672, F, 6.493g, 21.6mm, 0o, Tarsos mint, c. 164 - 37 B.C.; obverse veiled and turreted head of Tyche right; countermark: radiate head of Helios within oval punch; reverse TARSEWN, pyramidal pyre of Sandan on a garlanded base, Sandan stands inside with animal between two altars, eagle on top

Sandan was a Hittite-Babylonian sun, storm, or warrior god, also perhaps associated with agriculture. The Greeks equated Sandan with Herakles (Hercules). At Tarsus an annual festival honored Sandan-Heracles, which climaxed when, as depicted on this coin, an image of the god was burned on a funeral pyre. >>

Oh, and since they say you should "buy the book before you buy the coin"... well... I didn't quite do it that way, but now I'll add another title to my shelf. I already have Volumes 1 and 6 of the Sayles books, so now all I'll need is 3, 4, and 5.

So... can anyone guess which direction I'll be tearing off into next? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I've got to get back into ancients at some point. There are too many areas to consider before jump back into it, though. I need a plan I guess, some direction before I start accumulating more stuff.

Those are some nice ones, I especially like that Philip I.

Woohoo! The mailman just came, and here they are! We're less than T-minus one hour to departing for NC, and here I was hoping they'd get here in time for me to carry them with me and show off when I meet Aethelred and savoyspecial and maybe danglen, and here they are. I didn't think they'd make it here in time, despite my having paid a bit extra for the faster shipping.

• AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    The tetradrachm was a part of the Lordmarcovan Collection for about 48hrs. It was not an easy trade to make, but I am very happy with the coin.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
    BTW - Cool waterspout!!!!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>The tetradrachm was a part of the Lordmarcovan Collection for about 48hrs. It was not an easy trade to make, but I am very happy with the coin.image >>

It wasn't an easy trade for either of us, but he twisted my arm REALLY hard and made me part with my favorite newp. Let's just say he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. image

<< <i>

<< <i> Let's just say he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. image >>

How did you get that block off your leg and get out of the East River???image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

<< <i>How did you get that block off your leg and get out of the East River???image >>

'Twas the French Broad River, not the East River. Day after I saw you, we went tubing down the French Broad and I banged my knees and shins on every rock in that shallow ditch of a river, and got so badly sunburned on the exposed patch of skin on my lower back where my T-shirt rose up that I'm in agony every time I lean back in a chair, or roll over in bed. I got roasted, but son Justice got worse- he wasn't wearing a shirt.

So yeah, my river experience was almost deadly. But not quite deadly enough. Bwahaha.

PS- I think I've found something to spend your money on, maybe. image