Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone agree with what Peter Schiff had to say on July 17th ?

Comments

• Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I would like to see his list of American multinational companies that have large exports.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    At least he's optimistic image

Interesting that EVERYTHING will crash, you name it, except for the things he sells, Multi national & Foreign div stocks?, miners and PMs.
    really? those will go up while everything tanks? Personally, I think he's like all the self serving, attention seeking market "callers" that delude themselves into believing they know the future.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a business man that has been successful in times of economic crisis. The fact that he shares his insight with all that will listen indicates he believes there's plenty to go around for those that are prepared. I do not fault him for his success, he is far from greedy with what he knows. I have followed him for years and tend to agree with most everything he has to say, especially this:

Schiff tells congress, again, what they do not want to hear

I think you will find most stackers stack because of what they believe is coming. Schiff is just saying what many already know. His predictions in the 2007 book "Crash Proof" were met with skepticism, but he was proven correct then and will be proven correct again. He made a good case for gold in 2007, convinced me to move all savings into $650 oz. physical gold. So yes, he has my ear. The long term economic future of this country and now the civilized world is no longer that difficult to predict.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    I think that what Schiff has to say is quite plausible and something the wise will prepare themselves for. But then, what do I know?
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, Schiff is 100% correct.

Just how long can a country print worthless money and expect the worlds' creditors to accept it?

Would you sell me your entire collection and I'll pay you with my own freshly printed 'DoubleEagle59' dollars?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Would you sell me your entire collection and I'll pay you with my own freshly printed 'DoubleEagle59' dollars? >>

Hey, another poster comparing his credit and the quality of his personal debt instrument to that of the United States of America.

Anyone know what is the current exchange rate of a Jmski51 lawn mowing coupon, reckoned in terms of "doubleeagle59" credit units?

is either one liquid to, well ... anyone? for even one FRN? no takers?? image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know what is the current exchange rate of a Jmski51 lawn mowing coupon, reckoned in terms of "doubleeagle59" credit units?

Well, there's no telling just how many of those doubleeagle59 dollars that he's going to put out there, and besides that - he doesn't say whether or not they are backed with anything.

The jmski52 lawnmowing coupon is backed by the promise of actual physical labor. That's right - a solid, gold-plated promise (nanotechnology plating job) of actual physical labor, and it's not like I'm issuing a trillion of them (at least not yet). The only question is one of "when" it gets redeemed.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I bought some yellow metal today. Can u guess if I agree with Schiff?image I'm not so sure we'll have a total collapse, but it will be worse than 07/08. Remember the 70's?

My numbers/stats may not be exact, but you'll get the point:

70's=
    interest rates went into the teens
    High Inflation
    Rationing of gas - yes it was a one hour wait for 10 gallons.
    Home Foreclosures
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He's a business man that has been successful in times of economic crisis. The fact that he shares his insight with all that will listen indicates he believes there's plenty to go around for those that are prepared. I do not fault him for his success, he is far from greedy with what he knows. I have followed him for years and tend to agree with most everything he has to say, especially this:

Schiff tells congress, again, what they do not want to hear

I think you will find most stackers stack because of what they believe is coming. Schiff is just saying what many already know. His predictions in the 2007 book "Crash Proof" were met with skepticism, but he was proven correct then and will be proven correct again. He made a good case for gold in 2007, convinced me to move all savings into $650 oz. physical gold. So yes, he has my ear. The long term economic future of this country and now the civilized world is no longer that difficult to predict. >>

"crash proof" that's a good one, his model portfolio dropped about 50% in the crash of 2008...hardly "crash proof" imo.
    Maybe it's me, but if anyone convinces you to move "all savings" into one asset, somethings not quite right.
  • Options
    Didn't everything drop in the 2008 crash, that by the way, Schiff correctly called?

The savings has done just well, thanks to Schiff's also correct call with gold. Very much "quite right."

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't everything drop in the 2008 crash, that by the way, Schiff correctly called?

The savings has done just well, thanks to Schiff's also correct call with gold. Very much "quite right." >>

Nope, the dollar went up.image
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Will he follow his own advice this time ? irrc//he made the talk, but didn't walk it pre 2008 and his clients' portfolios missed his own calls.

We shall see.
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Didn't everything drop in the 2008 crash, that by the way, Schiff correctly called?

The savings has done just well, thanks to Schiff's also correct call with gold. Very much "quite right." >>

Nope, the dollar went up.image >>

Dollar value didn't go up, dollar index went up. Index just says the dollar faired better than the currencies it is being compared to, while they have all lost value. Ugly remains ugly, even when compared to real ugly. And, thanks to the FED, what has happened to the dividend that the bank is paying on those dollars they hold for you? Schiff was right, paper dollar continues to decline in value while real money is paying a much greater return.

Saying the dollar looks good compared to the Euro (57.6% of the dollar index weight) is not saying very much. How's that dollar performance compared to gold performance?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dollar value didn't go up, dollar index went up. Index just says the dollar faired better than the currencies it is being compared to, while they have all lost value. Ugly remains ugly, even when compared to real ugly. And, thanks to the FED, what has happened to the dividend that the bank is paying on those dollars they hold for you? Schiff was right, paper dollar continues to decline in value while real money is paying a much greater return.

Saying the dollar looks good compared to the Euro (57.6% of the dollar index weight) is not saying very much. How's that dollar performance compared to gold performance? >>

Nope, the dollar did go up. I could buy more gold, silver, corn, cars, houses, beans, ect than I could the year before. The dollar did indeed go up.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Saying the dollar looks good compared to the Euro (57.6% of the dollar index weight) is not saying very much. How's that dollar performance compared to gold performance? >>

Nope, the dollar did go up. I could buy more gold, silver, corn, cars, houses, beans, ect than I could the year before. The dollar did indeed go up. >>

Everything else went down further, most of it temporarily. As with all financial crisis, the dollar becomes the temporary safehaven.

• Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    So what happens to gold$ then? Does it go higher and higher and higher as the dollar drops?

How High can it go? I mean we rate its value now against dollars, right. At what point would that fall apart?

How would gold value relate to another external market or the world market then?
    (If our dollar falls to 1/3 of what its worth now, would gold be $5k+++? )

Would our gold be valued differently in the world, and do we tavel to Canada or to Britain?

See where I'm going -in a practial sense of what ya going to do then- situation.
    ...Dollar faulters, you have gold, so what the heck do you do with it then?...
    COA
  • Options

<< <i>So what happens to gold$ then? Does it go higher and higher and higher as the dollar drops? >>

yes, if buying with dollars

<< <i>How High can it go? I mean we rate its value now against dollars, right. At what point would that fall apart? >>

when dollars are worth zero or when gold is worth zero. Which is more likely to happen?

<< <i>How would gold value relate to another external market or the world market then? (If our dollar falls to 1/3 of what its worth now, would gold be $5k+++? ) >>

as currencies weaken, you can buy more gold with them.

<< <i>Would our gold be valued differently in the world, and do we tavel to Canada or to Britain? >>

it's all relative to the value of the currencies being used to buy the gold.

<< <i>See where I'm going -in a practial sense of what ya going to do then- situation.
    ...Dollar faulters, you have gold, so what the heck do you do with it then?... >>

As long as dollar as some value, you convert the gold to dollars only in the amount of dollars you need at the time you need them. Your balance remains in an asset that keeps up with dollar devaluation until you need more dollars. You let gold serve its role - protector of wealth.

• Options
    Temporary or not, the dollar did in fact go higher.

Peter Schiff will again fail in his investment management. Why? Because he has no control of his ego. Ego creates blindspots, and if you dont know there are blindspots you will surely have an accident.

• Options

<< <i>Temporary or not, the dollar did in fact go higher. >>

and thankfully provided another PM buying opportunity as it is doing now, because students of the economy know where the dollar is really heading. Schiff has always known where it's headed, those that have listened to him know where it's headed. good luck with the savings account.

• Options
    JimDepotJimDepot Posts: 957 ✭✭
    Peter Schiff +1

How long can one spend more than one earns, while borrowing to pay debts.

• Options

<< <i>Peter Schiff +1

How long can one spend more than one earns, while borrowing to pay debts. >>

indefinitely, they have a printing press. My concern is not them running out of money, but them destroying the existing money with each new press run.

Sure wish there was something out there to protect the value of what little I have. image

The highly respectable David Stockman hammered the FED today.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter being Peter. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

<< <i>Peter being Peter. MJ >>

He certainly is good at being Peter. He does put on a good show and offers good advice to not only Congress but to all. We do have to always keep in mind though, that he is in business to make money and that can be a weak point for anyone to overcome or to disregard at times. To be cautious, to check and verify, and to gain knowledge and understanding from a multitude of resources is ones own responsibility to master.
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    derryb, thanks for posting Stockman interview. That should be a "Must "read" listen to video!"