Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2012 LINCOLN CENT IN PCGS HOLDER

SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
I'm bringing this thread back because (1) no dealer has chosen to answer my questions and (2) I have subsequently found that getting the current year Lincoln cent with the regular blue label FROM A DEALER ON EBAY requires a lot of effort because the dealers are selling most of the so called "first strike", "autograph" and "flag" labeled shield cents in the OLD holders (probably to help PCGS get rid of their inventory) and holding back the regular blue label shield cents in the NEW prong type holders for later sale or auction rather than buy it now transactions.

============================================================================================Would any dealer here who sells PCGS holdered Lincoln cents care to tell me WHY they do not stock these coins for sale in the traditional blue label with the obverse portrait of Lincoln appearing on the FRONT of the holder. For the past three years the ONLY way that dealers sold this coin has been with the shield reverse facing front on the holder. WHY? Is business so good that "first strike" and "autograph" and "flag" labels are the only way to market these very common coins? I sure would like to purchase a proof version of the 2012S Lincoln in PR69DCAM. Anybody have one for sale? My guess is that there may be a few other collectors out there who might want these coins in PCGS holders in the TRADITIONAL format. Thanks. Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i bet they're out there on ebay or other venues
    have you tried the bst forum yet?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>i bet they're out there on ebay or other venues
    have you tried the bst forum yet? >>

Teddy,
    Not available on EBAY
    No response on BST
    Steveimage
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sure would like to purchase a proof version of the 2012S Lincoln in PR69DCAM. Anybody have one for sale? >>

I personally prefer the shield side up but I can see your point. There's currently a PCGS MS66RD and a MS67RD on the bay, Lincoln side up, but I couldn't find a PR69DCAM.

Since you're looking for a 69 and not a 70, wouldn't it be easier to make one?
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    bottomline steve
    could just acquire one and have it reholdered...noting "obverse out"
    best to just wait it out
    one will surface...i'll pm you should i run across one to see if it's been found
    i imagine you have to add note to have obverse out as pcgs may have a habit of holdering reverse out as the norm
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    This is not a new issue for me. I had conversations with Don Willis last year about PCGS switching back to the traditional way for holdering Lincoln cents. He told me then that they were switching back in 2011. Obviously they have heard from the dealers and that is what controls what the market sees. I used to make my own for my collection, but a number of years ago I determined not to first buy the proof set from the mint, then submit and "hope" I get a PR69DCAM. And besides, PAY a lot more for the process. I know I can order it myself, but I just wonder why all the dealers wouldn't at least put some out there for sale. Ebay used to have a number of dealers doing "presales" before the mint released the proof sets. Now we have all this "first strike" nonsense. Maybe I'm the only Lincoln cent collector who thinks this way. How come all other modern denominations are holdered with the obverse to the front of the holder? Any dealers out there who would care to explain their motivation for the current process? Thanks. Steveimage
  • Options
    For the "prime time" audience.

Lincoln cent dealers:
    You gentlemen and ladies KNOW your business. You have PCGS and NGC holder shield up for a reason, I'm sure. Can you please share your reasons with us. We all know that in a few years the "heads up Lincoln portrait" will return, but why now won't you also stock SOME of them along with the shield heads up version. Am I the ONLY demand for this? Thanks for your honest opinion.
    Steveimage
  • Options

<< <i>Am I the ONLY demand for this? >>

I was wondering this too but I'm glad you asked it image

lasvegasteddy's reholder suggestion sounds good.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

lasvegasteddy's reholder suggestion sounds good. >>

Sure, it works in a pinch, however, you better be getting a darned great deal on the price of the coin or else you will be buried in it, and some, due to reholdering and shipping costs.
    I doubt there is a lot of meat in a modern PR69DCAM.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

lasvegasteddy's reholder suggestion sounds good. >>

Sure, it works in a pinch, however, you better be getting a darned great deal on the price of the coin or else you will be buried in it, and some, due to reholdering and shipping costs.
    I doubt there is a lot of meat in a modern PR69DCAM..... >>

I agree with this. I wonder if the issue comes down to comparing one collector buried in a coin per year he or she absolutely wants vs. a dealer who is buried in multiple coins per year he or she doesn't want to try and satisfy one customer? At first, I was thinking that you could simply make a deal with one dealer to get one coin slabbed bust-side up, but if it's not guaranteed it will be a PR69DCAM, the dealer may end up buried in multiple coins to satisfy a single client.

It might be more interesting to ask if there are other collectors that want this. If there are enough collectors interested, a dealer may be convinced to send in coins this way. If there is only one customer requesting this, I can see how it would be a more difficult request to satisfy.
  • Options
    We now have

Proof Wheat Cents
    Proof Memorial Cents
    Proof Birth
    Proof Early Years
    Proof Professional
    Proof Presidential
    Proof Union

This is the proof design based type set. If the market / dealers are buying the Shield cents reverse up then its because many of the current buyers a collecting by design not date and mint mark. At some point the shield cents type demand will be fully saturated and then the dealers/ graders will go back to face out but for now thats the market.

It will be interesting to see if this is the early signs of the lincoln cents moving from a date set to a type set.

Eric
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does it matter which side faces forward in the slab? Is this for an OCD-type need? Personal preference? I'm sure if you sent in your own coin to have graded you'd be able to specify "put the Lincoln Bust side forward".

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One could also ask why the word "Shield" is still (or was ever) on the labels, I guess, since omitting it doesn't introduce any ambiguity as to the nature of the reverse.

Anyway, Teletrade shows no 2012 proof anything yet. It may actually be a little early to have these showing up for sale. The normal set didn't go on sale until May, and the silver set until June. When did they first ship?

The promising news for you is that some of the 2012 business strikes are holdered with the obverse up, so maybe you won't end up paying reholder fees.
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Steve, I totally agree with you.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
    Steve- All of my 2012 Business strikes are Lincoln on obverse/ Shield on reverse. So it must be a proof thing. I know you've been pondering this issue for years now! I actually thought about requesting it Lincoln on obverse slab side for my business strikes but forgot. But they came back that way anyway!
  • Options
    My REAL question is directed to dealers who stock and resell Lincoln cents. THEY must know the market. From conversations I've had on this subject with COLLECTORS, most would like to see all Lincoln cents in PCGS slabs with Lincoln and the date showing on the front of the slab (with the grade). Since almost everything on EBAY is still shield side up, I have to assume that the dealers are driving this market. WHY is it? Do the majority of your customers want the shield side up or is it just convienent for you to continue the practice. Can you Lincoln cent dealers please respond. I, for one, would appreciate your answers. Thanks. Steveimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Steve. First strike is marketing with no meaning or purpose. If you think so, then tell me just how many first strikes are needed and what evidence is there the coins were the very first minted ? It's just a bad marketing ploy. I will wait till the standard blue labels are ready before I buy.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I hear you. I HATE these "novelty holders" that have become so prevalent lately with moderns.
  • Options
    As an update, I have aquired my 2012 Lincoln proof cent in the plain blue label with the prong holder, but in order to do that I had to go thru auction. And we still have to wait AT LEAST another year to get Lincoln's head again properly put on the FRONT of the PCGS and NGC holders for Shield Lincoln cents. Why? Steveimage
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    To me it only made sense to holder them with reverse on the front of the slab for 2009.

Ed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file