Home Metal Detecting
Options

Why do I suck at detecting?

I have a garrett 350 and I thought I would be hitting home-runs by now. So far all I've found are some old oil cans, and a few penny's. Do I have a cheap detector?

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take some pocket change and spread it out on the ground and see what your detector picks up. It's going to take alot of practice and patience.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with the GTA-350. I watched a novice friend of mine take a 350 I was selling him and dig an 1863 Indian cent at about four or five inches in a park I'd hammered with my GTA-500. (Which got me, 'cause I have YET to dig a copper-nickel cent, to this day!) He also popped a 1935 Walking Liberty half right out from under my nose in the house of the yard we were staying in at the time.

It sounds to me like you've got an all-too-common case of impatience. And I don't blame you. I myself- and probably everyone, for that matter- is subject to it. 'Tis only human nature. I still fight with it.

Those treasures can be frustratingly elusive and everybody has long dry spells between those home runs. If you're relatively new to the hobby, that's especially true. Sometimes you just have to wait for that magical intersection of your practice and luck coming together just right. It's a tricky thing because skill and luck are both big factors in this hobby, and it is never as easy as other people make it look.

It took me more than a year with my old GTA-500 before I found much of anything. But that first 19th century silver coin hooked me for life and told me that I really could do it. You just need similar encouragement, but Lady Luck plays hard to get sometimes. Give 'er time, by being persistent, and she'll come around. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    It's really just a matter of finding places people go to or have been going to for a long time. The good finds will come, but some patience and a little luck are always needed. As Pocketpiececommems said, test your machine and make sure it's picking everything up. Play with the sensitivity and discrimination, and even bury some coins.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same detector-- I like it a lot. Good all around detector to have for park hunts. I can also leave it in my car without the nervousness of having a 1K detector possibly getting stolen.

I agree with the other posters here, play around with pocket change and get a feel for what it can do before you do a serious hunt.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    What are you hoping to find? Jewelry, old coins? Your locations dictate your success. You might want to gain access to old maps.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing wrong with the GTA-350. I watched a novice friend of mine take a 350 I was selling him and dig an 1863 Indian cent at about four or five inches in a park I'd hammered with my GTA-500. (Which got me, 'cause I have YET to dig a copper-nickel cent, to this day!) He also popped a 1935 Walking Liberty half right out from under my nose in the house of the yard we were staying in at the time.

It sounds to me like you've got an all-too-common case of impatience. And I don't blame you. I myself- and probably everyone, for that matter- is subject to it. 'Tis only human nature. I still fight with it.

Those treasures can be frustratingly elusive and everybody has long dry spells between those home runs. If you're relatively new to the hobby, that's especially true. Sometimes you just have to wait for that magical intersection of your practice and luck coming together just right. It's a tricky thing because skill and luck are both big factors in this hobby, and it is never as easy as other people make it look.

It took me more than a year with my old GTA-500 before I found much of anything. But that first 19th century silver coin hooked me for life and told me that I really could do it. You just need similar encouragement, but Lady Luck plays hard to get sometimes. Give 'er time, by being persistent, and she'll come around. image >>

image we've all been there and i to have had my share of droughts in the field. but when i did start to nail them it was sweeeet. hang in there
  • Options
    I agree with the others that say, practice, patience and spending as much time in the field as possible. Also as pocketpiececommems said place some coins, both copper and silver on the ground and work with your detector to learn the different settings.

My last detector is a Garrett, don't even recall the model because I bought it back in 1977, and saddly no-longer works, I spent many hours days and years searching and found lots of coins and stuff, but the main thing I did learn was to use a good set of headphones and learn the difference in the sound and pitch of the signals.
    To me it was never about the value or whatever item I found it was all about the time spent out in just searching.

Enjoy the hobby, and hope that we all find that one item that gives us great memories and a story to tell.

D.H
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too experienced the same frustration! I found out about detecting it takes a lot more than just collecting coins is '' P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E " !!!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I too experienced the same frustration! I found out about detecting it takes a lot more than just collecting coins is '' P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E " !!! >>

that does work wonders in this hobby image
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 350 is considered an excellent detector, for the price.

Just slow down!

And be patient, ya never know.

From two weeks ago:

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the week before:

also silver:

You won't hit good stuff every time out, just have fun & enjoy.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Thank you for the advice. I'm heading to a local beach on sunday. Awesome ring by the way.
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    Alot of the beaches here are getting worked hard. Try going either early morning or towards evening as the beach people start to leave. The wet sand is good for rings. Just remember to fill holes . If you don't have already, you should have a scoop with holes. Be prepared for trash. People are pigs