Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Heritage Auction Way over Price

1894-O Morgan Silver Dollar AU58 CAC

This coin should be $475

with the bid premium it will be close to 750+

What makes this coin worth almost double its price?
Morgan Everyman Set
Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O

Comments

• Not unusual. AU58 + CAC always go for moon money.

And that coin is quite nice for a sub-MS.

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes over $1,000 in the end.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS AU 58+ CAC is a quite desireable combination of bells and whistles.

Expect to pay a premium, especially for scarcer coins.
  • sonoranmonsoonsonoranmonsoon Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    It is a top pop for the everyman registry set, the best of the rest.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Price guides are just that ,a guide. A really nice 58 will often bring 63 money or more.
  • NickcapNickcap Posts: 977
    This coin went for $805 with bid premium.

I am happy that DLRC sold me the same coin earlier this week.

Morgan Everyman Set
    Member, Society of Silver Dollar Collectors.
    Looking for PCGS AU58+ 1901-P, 1896-O, & 1894-O
  • Interesting! This is my first post here,and am currently bidding on 3 higher graded Morgans that close tonight. If the results are the type of info that is welcomed here,I will post what I hope is a happy ending.
  • One of the 2 Morgans that I won on the Great Collections auction tonight is a Morgan from the Camaro68 or Vette Set. It is the Secure Plus 1880/9-S MS-65 DMPL,pop 21 .I am so excited,as it is the first registry Morgan that I've ever bought. Cert number 24358996. Any opinions on it's fair market value?
  • Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the 2 Morgans that I won on the Great Collections auction tonight is a Morgan from the Camaro68 or Vette Set. It is the Secure Plus 1880/9-S MS-65 DMPL,pop 21 .I am so excited,as it is the first registry Morgan that I've ever bought. Cert number 24358996. Any opinions on it's fair market value? >>

FMV is what you paid for it. That is the most recent indicator!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One of the 2 Morgans that I won on the Great Collections auction tonight is a Morgan from the Camaro68 or Vette Set. It is the Secure Plus 1880/9-S MS-65 DMPL,pop 21 .I am so excited,as it is the first registry Morgan that I've ever bought. Cert number 24358996. Any opinions on it's fair market value? >>

I think you got a good deal on it. When I bought it I was told by a DMPL dealer I should have paid more for it. You got it for close to what I paid. It is a nice coin, it is secure plus and attributed. You did good.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 58 could just as easily be at home in a 61 holder. That's why it brought >58 money. Most 61's look like train wrecks. This coin is quite pleasing overall.
    Full luster and only some slight weakness in strike on breast feathers and hair above ear that often resembles wear. Most 58's show a lot more battering and obvious rub.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

• << <i>

I think you got a good deal on it. When I bought it I was told by a DMPL dealer I should have paid more for it. You got it for close to what I paid. It is a nice coin, it is secure plus and attributed. You did good. >>

TY,I appreciate your kind comments.
  • Gratz on your new acquisition... expect to pay an arm and a leg at Heritage. Also, anything in this world is only worth what someone will pay for it... I never look at 'price guides', as I believe they are made by speculators for speculators, not collectors.
    -------------------------------------------
    "Money... it's a gas..."