Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1979 Wayne Gretzky First Game Ticket

I recently picked up this ticket stub on ebay. It is a stub from Wayne Gretzky's first
NHL game. He also recorded his first NHL point in the game. I was wondering what
you guys think it might be worth. Is it comparable to a Michael Jordan first game
stub? There is also a ticket-tron ticket on ebay now. The seller is asking for $1800.
But this ticket is the actual stub and not a ticketmaster or ticket-tron type. Thanks.

Comments

• GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Nice, I used to collect all of Gretz's tickets that had his pics on them.
  • EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭
    I love tickets and think that one is awesome!
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    neat item
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Nice item; I recently acquired a full ticket to Frank Thomas' first home run game...took a lot of searching. The neatest part about it is he hit it under the Metrodome, where he also hit his 500th HR.

After the Dome collapsed, I contacted the front office and they were kind enough to send me several swatches of the Dome fabric. Anyway, another collector was kind enough to take a piece of the fabric to a free signing and Frank thought it was so cool that he obliged me by inscribing the signature with the 1st and 500th HR tag.

Anyway, I have a slabbed 500th ticket, but I really wanted a 1st HR ticket to frame with the other items. Should look great.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Great ticket stub to have ! I also have this ! Keep in mind that this was Mark Messier's NHL debut. I would price it between 1500 - 2500. Ticketron to me is worth 800-1000.

Any more info .....LMK

Carlos

Collector of Wayne Gretzky Goal Games (ticket stubs)
  • Your right. I completely forgot about that (it also being Messier's pro debut as well).
    I was planning on having the ticket authenticated by PSA, but I don't think there
    is enough space on the slab to indicate both Gretzky and Messier's first NHL games
    and Gretzky's first NHL point. I will have to check to see what Messier did in his
    first game.
  • Plenty of room, Wayne Gretzky/Mark Messier NHL debut would fit
  • Anyone have a Gretzky debut ticket available for sale? thanks!

• KnightRiderKnightRider Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited March 2, 2019 4:25PM

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

That's pretty cool.

• oilers99oilers99 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I was able to get Wayne's signature on two 1851 point tickets (Oct 15, 1989) when he did his book signing this past October. I forgot to bring my 802 goal ticket with me.

• ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Cool to see this thread surface again. Awesome score on that World Juniors stub KnightRider... Last year I picked up this full ticket for Gretzky's first professional game with the WHA Indianapolis Racers, October 14, 1978...

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • hi I see you have a 1941 American league baseball ticket do you own this this ticket and is for sale

• pauldrolkeespauldrolkees Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2017 2:17PM

nice ticket!

I started to get into debut ticket, this is my latest one. NBA Debut for James Worthy, full unused ticket

@londonDave said:
    hi I see you have a 1941 American league baseball ticket do you own this this ticket and is for sale

... that was game #27 of Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hit streak. Thanks for the offer, but it's a cornerstone in my stub collection

"Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult

Another Gretzky stub, this from February 24, 1982 vs the Buffalo Sabres when he scored goals 75, 76 and 77 to break Phil Esposito's single season record...with 16 games still remaining. Gretzky would score 15 additional goals to finish the season with 92...

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad had that stub for years. I remember seeing it as a kid. He's not a collector but held into it. Not sure if he still has it. I'm going to have to ask. Thanks for the reminder!

Kevin

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

We'll that was fast. Apparently he tossed it when they sold our childhood home about 5 years ago. Oh well. Cool stub. Congrats!

Kevin

• It appears that the vintage Gretzky ticket market remains quite warm. This ticket stub, from Gretzky's 3rd professional game with the Indianapolis Racers just sold for $904 on eBay. That must make the debut ticket ICE9 posted above quite valuable these days.

The Oct 18 1978 stub was VERY significant...WG's first professional point...an assist. He was held scoreless in his first two games on Oct 14 and 15. I was the underbidder...