Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had the exact one, but with a hole drilled at the top and a black and white ribbon attached. Which mine was altered and not original and sold for $40 with no problem.

Always neat to find, sometimes hard to sell (personally) because of what they were part of.
  • Options
    What are the measurements of it?
    Positive transactions as a buyer-Utahcoin, CEOGBOSE, grote15, guitarwes, ms71, zrlevin, Durexmetals
  • Options
    ...and maybe a dumb question, but what significance is the 1813 date?
    Positive transactions as a buyer-Utahcoin, CEOGBOSE, grote15, guitarwes, ms71, zrlevin, Durexmetals
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...and maybe a dumb question, but what significance is the 1813 date? >>

Prussian victory over Napoleon, maybe?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    1813 is the date the order of the iron cross was initiated. It was related to the Napoleanic wars. Subsequent issues have the date related to the issue on the front as well: 1870, 1914 and 1939. 1939 is the WWII issue. The de-Nazified order is dated 1957. This is an IC second class, with the mount at the top broken off at some point. This was originally suspended from a red, white and black ribbon. 1st class orders are a pin back. The highest level is the Knights Cross, which is much larger and worn at the neck.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The highest level is the Knights Cross, which is much larger and worn at the neck. >>

I recently read that they had this saying regarding Luftwaffe and/or U-boat officers who were out for glory- they said, "he has a sore throat", meaning he was hellbent to receive the Knight's Cross. (In other words, his throat needed a nice decoration to hang on it.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.