Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1987 Topps -- View from the sidelines

I see that two 1987 Topps sets are actually registered on the Set Registry, by distinguished collectors nonetheless.

In the write-up for the set, it is described as the following: "It's a large set (792 cards), but due to a voluminous print run, packs, boxes, vending boxes, and factory sets are still readily available. Completion of this set in a strong grade won't be like climbing Mount Everest.

Wax cases from this set cost about $250 -- or less than three cents per card. Set cases sell for about $200, or less than 2 cents per card. Vending cases go for about $150 -- or slightly more than one penny per card.

In my mind, this is a case of infinite futility. Cards are barely worth a penny each -- and that is just the average (stars are worth a little -- and commons are worth fractions of a penny). That it would cost someone over $5,000 to ever have this set graded is simply ridiculous. No dealer would ever undertake that risk (Allowing buyers to purchase to purchase graded cards for less than the grading cost), and I cannot imagine any collector would do the same.

We have seen many debates regarding the potential long-term investment/profitability of many late 1970s and early 1980s sets in a completely graded set. Though that is an interesting debate, I cannot imagine anyone ever taking the opposite side in a debate like this. Clearly these cards are all but worthless -- save a few star cards that just might make up the grading cost in PSA 9, there is nothing going for this set.

It's a shame -- it's probably the first set I ever completed by myself, as I started coming into my first true phase of collecting (I was 11 at the time...). However, these cards, though they have sentimental value to me, they will never be worth much to nearly every collector.
An exercise in futility...
I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.

Comments

• Options
    It makes absolutely no sense what so ever. I wonder just how enthusiastic these two collectors will be in the pursuit of this venture.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Agree 100%.

Having said that, however ...

I am sure PSA plans on being around for decades. Thus, why not set up the registry NOW and let some crazy nuts sign up ... and then the registry for the 1987 set will STILL be around 20 years from now when the cards ARE actually worth something.

***This assumes that these modern cards of which millions were printed will EVER be worth anything. My thought is that they will not.
  • Options
    I love guys/gals who make sets like that. Suggests there are some collectors still around. I wish some would place less "value" on eveything. I know alot of collectors who love 87 Topps. I don't agree but the design is something they love and it does have some HOF's and a couple of nice rookies.
  • Options
    As we strip our rain forests and deplete our precious reserve of fossil fuels it is comforting to know we still have plenty of 1987 Topps to burn to keep us warm at night while we ogle our 50's, 60's, 70's, graded sets!
    Here's hoping the 87' Topps collectors among us have a sense of humor.

On the flip side, if you enjoy it, its your money, go right ahead and have fun!

RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    As long as people keep burning their 87 Topps, someday it could be valuable...maybe not in my lifetime...but someday. I wish those collectors luck, as a real collector does it for the fun vs. the down the road potential.....
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I completely agree - what a waste of time.

Thats why I'm working on an 86 and 89 Graded sets! When those babies finally get registered - that'll be two more plaques for me!!!

Sorry... couldn't resist...
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    More like a waste of money. if a person enjoys making this set then probably it is time well spent. i work 8 hours a day, get money but still feel like i have wasted my time ...anyways ...i got my first 1964 giants card and i must say ..its a beauty.. so i am defenetly going to complete this set in the near future.
    im still planning on doing my 1992 bowman set . but recently i have seen how dslsports and wiwag have lots of up tp 20 psa 9 of any particular player. so i was thinking of that such a modern set is quite easy in psa 9 and therefore i realize that psa9 prices (even though they are low already) are in fact overpriced. so these kind of sets are only special in psa 10. .. what do u guys think? Ethan
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    With any set like 1992 Bowman, I think the going assumption in opening up a pack or a box of cards is that the card should average MINT condition (some lesser, some better). With the way production processes have improved over the years, that should be a going assumption for most sets.

I think with 1992 Bowman, a set will not be special in PSA 9. No more special than having five MINT raw sets, anyway. A PSA 10 set will be something special (though whether it is in fact valuable is a different issue...)

I would say that with 1992 Bowman PSA 9 commons, you are essentially paying for the graded card service/encapsulation of the card rather than the actual "MINTNESS" of the card, per se. (e.g. it would be much easier to find MINT cards on your own for a much less expensive price)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    mike - that is true for the non-foil cards. 1992 Bowman had a significant number of foil border cards. These, being among the first cards with foil borders, have a lot of chipping problems.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    i have to agree w/ mike...modern sets in psa 9 are just not that special. both the 1990 leaf and 1992 bowman are great modern sets that in time might hold up their values and popularity quite well and even go as inflation goes up and they will have moments when some of its rookie reach the hall of fame where these two sets might shine as a whole. of course these two sets are the best sets from this era. it might be much worse for other sets. there might be one exception which is the desert shield 1991 topps. but only if enough interest is put on this set. rarity does not always equate popularity among collectors. Ethan
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    I think any set totally PSA 9 is special. ANY SET. How many complete PSA 9 sets exist, from any year or manufacturer?? I would have to think less than 50...which in the big scheme of things is special. Even if 87 Topps it would be one of a kind, and as pointed out not many are going to try it.
  • Options
    a psa 9 set such as 92 bowman or 90 leaf is on only a matter of money, a lot of money but thats all.
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Agreed a matter of money, however still special. I don't think I see a line of guys who will be slabbing PSA 9 92 Bowman sets anytime soon. So if you got it done, it would be special. It would stay special until someone sold a set and made money. Then people would jump in, but until a dealer is willing to gamble on that, it will be special.....
  • Options
    Even in the early 90's, the '87 Topps set was considered "over printed". You could buy a set for $15. 10 years later, nothing has changed. A couple players have soared in popularity (Bonds and McGwire), but this is now a $7 set on Ebay. I could understand it if you wanted a PSA 9 '85 Donruss set (with the black borders) or some other condition sensitive set.

There's simply too many of them out there to make a PSA 9 set very special. 10 years from now, there will still be a mountain of '87 Topps cards out there. I just can't envision demand ever picking up for this set considering that most of the stars are at or near retirement. Bonds has plenty of other scarcer rookies. If demand doesn't pick up and the supply of the cards remains constant (albeit it's a huge number), prices will hardly budge.

More power to you if you buy this set for fun. But to recoup even a fraction of the $5,000 spent grading it is virtually impossible. For $5 grand, you could pick up 33 vending cases (that's 495 of each card!). If you had a really good eye, you could pick PSA 10's out of those cards and for another $5 grand built yourself a PSA 10 set. Pretty cool.
  • Options
    Over 9 years later,12 set on the registry now. 1987 Topps best set of all-time.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Marc...what phase are you in now ? image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Marc...what phase are you in now ? image >>

All Phillies, All the time!