Home Sports Talk
Options

Drew Brees

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
If Drew Brees doesn't get the long-term deal he and the Saints have been haggling over, one report says he won't sign his franchise tag and will not report to New Orleans training camp.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Saints have offered a contract to Brees that would average $19.25 million per season, which would make him the highest paid player in history (Peyton Manning's deal with the Broncos averages $19.2 million per year).

But Mortensen writes that Brees wants $20.5 million per year.

Remember, the two sides have until Monday to strike a long-term deal before Brees has to play under the $16.6 million franchise tag. But if that doesn't happen and Brees actually holds out from training camp, there's no telling how long he'll stay away from the team.

A few weeks ago, Brees said he'd never sit out the season because he loves the game too much -- which, at the time, seemed to give away some of his leverage (I personally thought it meant that the two sides were close enough to a new deal that Brees saying that wouldn't make much of a difference).

According to Saints Rapid Reporter Larry Holder, the team hasn't heard from Brees' agent, Tom Condon, since early June after the Saints offered the latest contract.

With so much money on the table for Brees, it's hard to fathom any NFL player walking away from that kind of franchise-tag cash (thank goodness, though, that Brees does have other employment options).

Unless Brees really believes in the principle of this stand-off. And if that's the case, the Saints might have to choose between Chase Daniel, Luke McCown or Sean Canfield as the 2012 starting quarterback.

Hey, at least they'd be cheap.

Hey Drew have a press confrence saying it IS about the money, Id respect that!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rode his arm to a fantasy championship and payout last season...he's worth every penny! LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CubsFan41CubsFan41 Posts: 513 ✭✭

<< <i>I rode his arm to a fantasy championship and payout last season...he's worth every penny! LOL.. >>

So did I.image
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost a lot of respect for Brees after he whined enlessly about the bounty suspensions.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I rode his arm to a fantasy championship and payout last season...he's worth every penny! LOL.. >>

So did I.image >>

He's been my protected player for several years. Plenty of 2nd and 3rd places during his reign but zero championships.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys want to puke? check this out, last years draft I grabbed Brady with my 1st pick and Brees with my 3rd pick. Remember Bradys first 2 games last year? Well I figured Brees was expendable so I traded him for that Made of Glass guy Darren McFadden image

Oh and OFCOURSE the guy I traded with won the Championship
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    As a Saints fan, I've had Brees on four different occasions. I've won only one championship with him. Oddly enough, it was in 2007, when Brees was playing so poorly early in the season that I picked up Derek Anderson off of waivers and started him all the way to the championship while Brees sat on the bench.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.