Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB creates controversy?

mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-07-09/home-run-derby-2012-results-prince-fielder-jose-bautista-robinson-cano?sct=hp_t2_a3

The media is trying to spin this as a "baseball" PR controversy, but it seems to me to be squarely a "Robinson Cano" controversy. When you say you're going to do 1 thing, but then do something else, you should expect to be criticized. No one held a gun to his head and forced him to earlier say that he'd pick a Royal. Yet he said he would....but he didn't. It speaks to character.

Shame on the media for trying to blame the situation on KC fans for booing or even blaming MLB for "creating situations like this". There is 1 person to blame for this and that person is Cano, who said he'd pick a Royal, but didn't.
Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, karma got Cano, as he put up a bagel in the HR derby.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    MLB creates controversy in much more damaging ways than having random guys as captains of HR Derby teams.

1. ASG determining Home Field
    2. The "play in" game to make the playoffs.
    3. Unbalanced schedule including the completely unfair interleague schedule.

Everything is done for TV purposes, and none of it is good for the game.

To solve the HR Derby issue, all they have to do is have the hometown guy be a captain. If he's a captain, and happens to not be a particularly strong HR hitter, the captain will simply pick 4 guys that should be in it. That way the hometown fans have nothing to complain about.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-07-09/home-run-derby-2012-results-prince-fielder-jose-bautista-robinson-cano?sct=hp_t2_a3

The media is trying to spin this as a "baseball" PR controversy, but it seems to me to be squarely a "Robinson Cano" controversy. When you say you're going to do 1 thing, but then do something else, you should expect to be criticized. No one held a gun to his head and forced him to earlier say that he'd pick a Royal. Yet he said he would....but he didn't. It speaks to character.

Shame on the media for trying to blame the situation on KC fans for booing or even blaming MLB for "creating situations like this". There is 1 person to blame for this and that person is Cano, who said he'd pick a Royal, but didn't. >>

Totally agree, Cano had no bussiness lying to KC fans let alone lying to them about their guy and in their ballpark.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2012-07-09/home-run-derby-2012-results-prince-fielder-jose-bautista-robinson-cano?sct=hp_t2_a3

Shame on the media for trying to blame the situation on KC fans for booing or even blaming MLB for "creating situations like this". There is 1 person to blame for this and that person is Cano, who said he'd pick a Royal, but didn't. >>

Totally agree, Cano had no bussiness lying to KC fans let alone lying to them about their guy and in their ballpark. >>

From what I read, he made that promise but then had MLB "suggest" something different. IMO, they hung him out to dry.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Totally agree, Cano had no bussiness lying to KC fans let alone lying to them about their guy and in their ballpark. >>

From what I read, he made that promise but then had MLB "suggest" something different. IMO, they hung him out to dry. >>

It all comes down to Cano though, regardless if MLB told him they preffered something different what the heck does he care? They dont pay him and as a Ballplayer you dont live in fear of your boss Money is the only thing these guys care about and those million dollar paychecks WILL clear the bank every time. If Cano had a set of balls he would have said No to whoever suggested anything to him and if they got tough then he could have thrown them out there in the media.
  • Options
    The Yankee Haters are really reaching on this one.

The worst thing you can say about the guy is that he didn't pick a Royal for the HR Derby? Boo Hoo.

You guys act like he got caught smoking crack with an underage hooker.

• Options

<< <i>The Yankee Haters are really reaching on this one.

The worst thing you can say about the guy is that he didn't pick a Royal for the HR Derby? Boo Hoo.

You guys act like he got caught smoking crack with an underage hooker. >>

Here we go with the super sensitive Yankee defender, gimme a break nobody is bashing the Yankees we are just calling out a coward ballplayer is all. I would say the same thing if it was Pedroia, if you condone a guy going back on his word then I guess there is nothing anyone can say to make you understand the topic at hand.
  • Options
    A coward? lol, too funny. Cowards knock down women and children while running from a burning building. Cowards cover up child sex abuse scandals. I hardly think Cano fits into this catagory because he didn't pick Billy Butler after he said he would.

BTW I heard that Swisher was seen J-Walking the other day. I say that scumbag should be arrested, and banned from baseball forever.

• Options

<< <i>A coward? lol, too funny. Cowards knock down women and children while running from a burning building. Cowards cover up child sex abuse scandals. I hardly think Cano fits into this catagory because he didn't pick Billy Butler after he said he would.

BTW I heard that Swisher was seen J-Walking the other day. I say that scumbag should be arrested, and banned from baseball forever. >>

Ok "Coward" wasnt the correct word I guess, but its obvious your mentality is too limited to understand.

But please use other extreme comparisons I find that one absolutely hilarious!

• Options

No one would have cared if all he was did was "not pick a Royal for the HR Derby." Sounds like you can't bring yourself to admit that Cano lacks Integrity. Just admit it and move on....c'mon you'll feel better.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

• Options

<< <i>Ok "Coward" wasnt the correct word I guess, but its obvious your mentality is too limited to understand.

But please use other extreme comparisons I find that one absolutely hilarious! >>

My extreme comparison was meant to show how dumb your coward comment was, but it's obvious that your mental capacity prevents you from understanding.

<< <i>No one would have cared if all he was did was "not pick a Royal for the HR Derby." Sounds like you can't bring yourself to admit that Cano lacks Integrity. Just admit it and move on....c'mon you'll feel better. >>

The fact is the haters MUST jump on every little thing when it comes to a Yankee. If you want to talk integrity then let's talk about Chipper and Hooters employees. Sounds like you can't bring yourself to admit that you're still mad about the '96, and '99 World Series. Just admit it and move on....c'mon you'll feel better.

EDIT:This one's for you McMikey

• Options
    FACT Cano publicly stated he would chose a Royal ( Butler ) to the fans of KC
    FACT Cano lied
    FACT Cano was booed by KC fans in KC because of this
    FACT Mydaughtersnameismattingly thinks this is a strictly Yankee hater thing and refuses to get his head out of his a$$ and understand this has nothing to do with New York
    FACT Mydaughtersnameismattingly thinks is OK to lie
    FACT Arguing this point with Mydaughtersnameismattingly is like arguing with a 4 year old
  • Options

<< <i>FACT Cano publicly stated he would chose a Royal ( Butler ) to the fans of KC
    FACT Cano lied
    FACT Mydaughtersnameismattingly thinks this is a strictly Yankee hater thing and refuses to get his head out of his a$$ and understand this has nothing to do with New York
    FACT Arguing this point with Mydaughtersnameismattingly is like arguing with a 4 year old >>

LOL, looks like you got your panties all twisted Perk.

Since it's a fact, and you seem so sure of your words show me a quote, or video where Cano said he was 100% picking a Royal.
    Everything I've seen and read on the topic says that he was thinking about picking a player from KC.

EDIT: Since we're talking about liars......

• Options
    Ortiz is a clown, there is absolutely no question in my mind he juiced. Im glad because if he didnt juice we might not have won our World Series. Im not biased on facts, sure I hate the Yankees passionately but I say it the way I see it regardless.
  • Options
    Hey Mydaughtersnameismattingly- I have no ill-will toward the Yankees at all. In fact, I lived in New York for several years and went to several games in the "old stadium". My comments about Cano lying have nothing to do with him being a Yankee. If he were a Mariner, he'd still be a liar and lack integrity.

• Options

Crack & underage hooker? Did somebody say crack & an underage hooker?

I'll take two please.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>FACT Cano publicly stated he would chose a Royal ( Butler ) to the fans of KC
    FACT Cano lied
    FACT Arguing this point with Mydaughtersnameismattingly is like arguing with a 4 year old >>

I count 2, maybe 3 facts there. The rest are opinions.

Other than that, you boys carry on.....
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq