Home Metal Detecting

July 7, 2012: Two Cent Piece and a few other goodies

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Here's a quick video of the 2-cent piece as a green disc...Video Here

Got out yesterday to the same field I've been hitting lately. Seemed to be a little bit of everything yesterday. About 10 minutes into the hunt i got a deeper wheat cent-ish signal. After digging, a coin larger than a cent, but smaller than a large cent came out. I was really hoping it was my first half cent, but ended up being a 2-center. Not sure of the date - the thickest corrosion is right over the date. Soaking it in mineral oil now.

Also picked up:

1958-D Silver Roosie
1890 IHC
first Kennedy half of the year
NH highway token
open top thimble - any ideas on age?
pin - back says "Pat 1911"
and a lead bar with "WARD" - any ideas what it could have been? Some kind of seal??

Overall a decent day. HH all!

Comments

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just unreal the variety of stuff that you find in one spot or areaimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! I have yet to find a 2c (or 3c, for that matter, and fuhgeddabout finding a 20c).

Like that squatly-shaped thimble. I'd guess it is pretty early. Pre-Civil War, maybe. Mind you, that's just a wild guess.

The "WAR(D?)" plaque is an intriguing mystery.

Wow, that's an OLD Boy Scout badge! Maybe collectible, for all I know. Nifty!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! You just never know what will come up next.

Thanks LordM - I didn't know that was a boy scout pin!

Going to check into the age of that thimble. Could be anywhere from 10 years old fo 150...you never know at this field.

the two and three centers are pretty scarce, and I've only seen one or two 20 cent pieces dug (not by me though, haha)
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I eyeballed a brass thimble on a plantation site here just a few months ago. Was digging out pottery sherds from a riverbank (sans detector), and out it came. Most of the thimbles I've found were squashed flat, but this one was nice. Your more squat looking example appears more like some of the medieval "beehive" thimbles I've seen English detectorists post. I'm no authority on thimbles, but it has to be old.

I have yet to find a silver or gold thimble. That would be great.

If your Boy Scout badge was patented in 1911, that's saying something, since I believe the BSA was founded in 1910. So it's really early, and therefore might have some value to a collector of BSA memorabilia, who knows. Of course I recognized the symbol on it, since I was a Scout. image

Edit- yep... founded February 8, 1910.

So as much as I'm envious of you for finding that 2-center, crusty or not, it is possible that the Boy Scout badge may be the best find of the lot. I don't know how many were made, or how long they were produced with that patent date on them, but regardless, that's an early one. Now that you know what it is, a wee bit of webcrawling might produce some vague idea of its monetary value. Even if that turns out to be modest, I call that a very cool find.

I got into this hobby to find old coins, but many's the time I'm found some other fascinating doodad which proved to be just as appealing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.