Home Sports Talk

Who did you enjoy to watch hitting the baseball ?

Or perhaps you still enjoy watching them hit today. These can be guys who aren't are your team, but every time they come to the plate you enjoy watching
them for some reason or another.

1. Dave Kingman
2. George Brett
3. Manny Ramirez
4. Reggie Jackson
5. Mike Schmidt
6.. Rusty Staub

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked watching Rod Carew. Sometimes it seemed like he could hit whichever pitch he chose to hit and hit it where he wanted to hit it.
  • jimmygjimmyg Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I'm right-handed, but there's nothing like watching:

1. Will Clark
    2. Mark Grace
    3. Jon Olerud
    4. Griffey, Jr.

For some reason the swing just looks more graceful from the left side of the plate.

Now, I like watching Jeter hit because I know I'm watching history and I like it when he inside-outs his swing.
  • I forgot about Will Clark. Loved watching him hit too.
    I think he and Grace had some battle in a series one year.

Jeter is cool to watch too, but watching Arod can be painful. He misses so many pitches, but so did Reggie.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really enjoy watching Miguel Cabrera hit. I've never seen a right handed batter hit balls so hard to the power alley in right center. He is going to kill an outfielder one day. The ball never comes back in one piece.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cal Ripken Jr.
    Andruw Jones
    Vlad Guerrero
    Jim Edmonds
    Ken Griffey Jr.

I have to add Gary Sheffield to this list to.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    1) George Brett
    2) John Olerud
    3) Jim Edmonds
    4) Gary Sheffield
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Barry Bonds. Think what you may about him but in his playing days every time he stepped into the batter's box he had most viewer's undivided attention.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harmon Killebrew and Jim Thome.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Darryl Strawberry had the sweetest left handed swing, a long arc that sort of swept the ball out of the park. Beautiful to watch.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank Howard
    Harmon Killebrew
    Yaz
    Roberto Clemente
    Ernie Banks

In no order...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    In order:
    David Justice
    Barry Bonds
    Fred McGriff
    Gary Sheffield
    Chipper
    Griffey Jr.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    Will Clark, Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa,Albert Pujols and Gary Sheffield's samurai swing.
  • AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    In order:
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Bo Jackson
    Willie McCovey
    Barry Bonds
    Sammy Sosa
    Willie Stargell

• zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Ken Griffey Jr. in his prime.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 Dave Winfield
    2 Reggie Jackson
    3 Pete Rose
    4 Willie McCovey
    5 Tony Gwynn

Steve

• << <i>I really enjoy watching Miguel Cabrera hit. I've never seen a right handed batter hit balls so hard to the power alley in right center. He is going to kill an outfielder one day. The ball never comes back in one piece. >>

This.
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Maury Wills - loved to see him get on and steal 2nd and 3rd
    Frank Howard
    Roberto Clemente
    Willie Mays
    Don Drysdale - a pitcher that could hit always created havoc
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted Williams and the few times I saw Mickey Mantle in Fenway...none better, back in the day.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Used to love watching Cecil Fielder and Mickey Tettleton back to back. They had the fiercest swings and longest drives I ever remembered. Seems like Tettleton was always hitting game ending homers in the 9th. Nowadays, I love watching Prince Fielder. He's got a swing like Babe Ruth and that ball just jumps off the bat!!!
  • SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Wade Boggs.
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    I second Wade Boggs. As I read the responses, I couldn't believe Wade hadn't been mentioned yet. Also enjoyed McGwire in 1998.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Griffey Jr had the smoothest swing I've seen.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Brett, Griffey Jr, Will Clark, and Bagwell.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark McGwire - I would stop what I was doing and sit down and watch him bat. If I missed one, I felt like I was going to miss something special.

Albert Pujols - Ditto. In addition to what I said about McGwire, Pujols has the most picture perfect swing I've ever seen. His bat stays level and through the strike zone longer than anybody I have ever seen.

Bryce Harper - He is so young, but what a powerful swing he has!

Shane

• Never really been a fan of Pujols but watching him in batting practice a few years ago reminded me of McGwire in his steroid induced prime.

Griffey and Will Clark had the most fluid swings of my generation but I always loved watching Mattingly's crouch and explosion.
  • firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
    Don Mattingly
    Will Clark
    Ken Griffey Jr
    Wade Boggs
    George Brett
    Bo Jackson
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Ted Williams
    Mickey Mantle
    Yaz
    Jim Rice
    Wade Boggs
  • In no order

Boggs
    Mattingly
    Cal Jr
    Jason Kipnis (Cal and Kipnis just held/hold the bat strange and I love it)
    Manny Ramirez
    Griffey
    Will Clark
    Thome
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not in any order....

For batting skill.....

Roberto Clemente
    Jon Olerud
    Rod Carew
    Hank Aaron

Also enjoyed watching a big strikeout or a home run from....

Willie Stargell
    Dave Kingman
    Reggie Jackson
    Dave Winfield

For swinging at everything.....

Manny Sanguin (also used the biggest, heaviest bat I've ever seen).

Lastly, for the sheer thrill of seeing someone getting hit by a pitch.....

Ron Hunt (Montreal Expos, very early years).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • I will only focus on those players that I have actually seen play either in person or on TV (real time). These are the players I had to stop doing what I was doing and concentrate on the at-bat

Not in any order

Rafael Palmeiro - smoothest swing I've seen
    Mark McGwire
    Jim Thome
    Jose Canseco
    Eric Anthony - Anyone remember that name?
    Will Clark
    Tony Gwynn
    Cecil Fielder
    Barry Bonds
    Frank Thomas
    Mike Piazza
    Sammy Sosa
    Vlad Guerrero - What a strike zone the guy created
    Travis Hafner - big guy with big power
    Todd Helton
    Josh Hamilton
    Mike Schmidt
    Pete Incaviglia - Don't laugh
    Rickey Henderson
    Don Mattingly
    Bo Jackson

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Brady Anderson