Home U.S. Coin Forum

OK, my first GTG thread...but it is a good one....

NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
I have NEVER started a 'guess the grade' thread, but this is one I've been after for quite some time. Picked this up on the REAL cheap, I mean cheap! For all you Washie people, or anyone in general, care to take a stab at the grade on a coin that wond up costing me $33, and free shipping? It's going to our hosts tomorrow to get put in it's proper holder (it's PCGS already, but needs reholdering). DON'T CHEAT and look at the 'properties', too tired to change the title of the image........give me the grade you see from looking at the coin!!!

Can't wait to get this back!

edited...the 'mark' on George's hairline is just a lighting issue, the coin is all white.
I'll come up with something.

Comments

• DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Its hard to tell what's on the coin and what's on the holder, but the coin looks gem. The reverse looks strong. I'll guess P65.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    DHeath.....of all people!!!....look at the coin closely!!!

edited...the marks are all on the slab, the coin is lustrous and very clean...
    image My P is for PCGS, not PF.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    A lot of slide marks on the neck, or what can be perceived as such and some scattered marks in the fields and on the eagle. Looks like a 4.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    ms65

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS66 but needs the Type B designation.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess MS65 too... are they worth spending over $50 to get them reholdered with the Type B designation?? I've seen some of them of other dates sell pretty cheap, even attributed that why I ask.

Anyways, a cool find for $33 i think. image
  • I see a 64, looks like marks on the face and neck. On the reverse I find it hard to tell what is on the coin and what is on the holder.
  • Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd guess MS65 too... are they worth spending over $50 to get them reholdered with the Type B designation?? I've seen some of them of other dates sell pretty cheap, even attributed that why I ask.

Anyways, a cool find for $33 i think. image >>

He may not be sure! image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

<< <i>MS66 but needs the Type B designation.
    image >>

DING DING DING!!! A winner already! Brings the total pop of MS66 Type B's, to just 3 (top-pop). Been a long while since the first 2 were made. This coin, attributed in MS66, is WELL worth the reholdering/attribution. For the $33.....

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>MS66 but needs the Type B designation.
    image >>

DING DING DING!!! A winner already! Brings the total pop of MS66 Type B's, to just 3 (top-pop). Been a long while since the first 2 were made. This coin, attributed in MS66, is WELL worth the reholdering/attribution. For the $33..... >>

Congrats!image

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd guess MS65 too... are they worth spending over $50 to get them reholdered with the Type B designation?? I've seen some of them of other dates sell pretty cheap, even attributed that why I ask.

He may not be sure! image >>

Oh, I'm QUITE sure about this gem in the rough!

In MS66, this is more than well worth the $$.....MS65's, you are borderline as to submitting, but MS66, well, it's one of the very hardest dates of the silver Type B's in MS66....could be the second hardest to find, but it's in the top 2 in rarity in MS66 attributed. Judging by the '56 and '58 MS66's prices (both top pops, both dates with more graded in MS66 than the '61), this is a great score, if I do say so myself!
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    66 crowd i'm in here...image
    nice example too
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd guess, but, when it comes to WA quarters, I would have to say, I am "not sure"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• I'm assuming that was a fine cherrypick there. Gotta watch for the type reverses
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna be sick........

That is such a suh-wheat find! You one lucky son-of-a-gun!

Coingrats!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I like it alot, and congrats on the search and finding such a nice example. Searching for all these varieties can be alot of fun finding one in MS66 is a tough deal. Hey maybe it gets a + too? Enjoy tom image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.

<< <i>I'd guess, but, when it comes to WA quarters, I would have to say, I am "not sure"

image >>

Still a funny guy, Bochi!!! image

I won't go near any of these Type B's unless they are 66's, and in our hosts plastic, noow (or, if it's a stellar raw coin,or a definite upgrade candidate), but getting a '59 or '62 in MS67, or a '64 in 66, those are going to be tough to find to get the highest graded Type B set. I just don't believe that MS64's and under will bring much of a premium, but the 66's, different story). It's weird, the coin is in a new, pronged holder (already scratched up, and does make it look worse than a 66), and the submitter didn't even catch the variety. Thanks for the props.......

Tom, a plus would be great, and it stands a chance.
  • That is a real nice looker and a TOP POP Type-B Reverse too. Wow a diamond in the ruff. And now a pop three coin. I would say you got the Deal of the Day on that one. But there is one more out there that is not attributed and it is also a Doubled Die Obverse #8. Check it out!!
    If my pictures do not post or if they are to large then pardon me. This is my first post here.
    Welcome to my world
    www.washingtontype-b.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file