Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Maximum Diameter for PCGS holders

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone know?

I have yet to see a double taler in a PCGS holder and was wondering if these 47mm pieces can fit. NGC used to throw them in the larger holder yet now seem to cram them in the standard size yet thicker build.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure, but I think PCGS recently introduced additional oversized holders for Chinese bullion coins. If you call them - let us know, Zohar.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why they can't use the ones that were created for the 5oz America the Beautiful series.

PCGS oversize holder
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Here's a Two Taler in a PCGS Holder that recently sold on eBay. Not sure of the diameter of this coin, though.
  • Options
    SenexSenex Posts: 483

<< <i>Here's a Two Taler in a PCGS Holder that recently sold on eBay. Not sure of the diameter of this coin, though. >>

Gorgeous coin!
  • Options
    This is a smaller diamter 2 Taler compared with the large flan pieces I am referring to,
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Biggest PCGS slabbed paperweights I have are a 1974 Bahamas $5 and a 1975 Tonga 2 Pa'anga. Krause says the $5 is 45 mm and the 2 Pa'anga is 44.5 mm, though the 2 Pa'anga is the bigger of the 2 coins.
  • Options
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS has an extra thick, standard sized holder, but I'm measuring the diameter of the lens of the holder at 45mm, which is barely enough to hold a Pan-Pac $50 (44mm), so you'd probably have to go with the oversized holder. Call customer service Monday.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a belated response to an old thread, particularly since holders have changed a little since the original post, but since I had this question come up again recently, I thought I'd share the information I just got from Nick at PCGS Customer Service.

The maximum diameter that will fit in a standard PCGS holder as of right now (December 2018) is 44 mm, or up to 46 mm if the coin is thin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have been thinking about larger holders because I've got a few Imperial Russian 10 kopeks and a CTG silver ruble that are 44mm and thicker than the average bear. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall