Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Increased POP reports and prices

I recenlty learned of a 1972 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 10 that sold for 10k when the POP was one or two.
Then when the POP reached seven, the card sold for 3.2k. The person who bought the first one (although he is thrilled with having the card) has lost
6-7k on his card value.

Contrast this with a Nolan Ryan rookie card that has a huge POP in psa 9's, but the price always stays the same, and you probably won't lose money on
the rookie, even though the pop is much higher.

So do you know of any other cards that have decreased in value like this ?
Also, which card would you rather have ? The sure thing rookie with a high pop and a steady value, or a low pop PSA 10.

I think of Dmitri Young's collection what it's worth now, and what it could be worth in the future. I guess the POP reports will have a big say in that ??? I don't know.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in 2006 1970 Pete Rose PSA 10s were a pop 5 and I sold mine for 4500.00 . I think on this last year sold for around 2300-2400. Its a pop 10 now.
    Which was about 8-9 ozs gold at the time and now its about 1 1/2 oz of gold.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think those values really depend on the star value of the card or the scarcity (or perceived scarcity) of the card in a particular grade. Low pop commons go for large amounts of money almost solely based on the pop number--as soon as a couple more 10s or 9s are graded, that card worth 1K as a pop 2 is suddenly worth $500 as a pop 5. Here's an example: a pop 1 PSA 10 World Series Game 1 75 mini sold for $1,500 not too long ago. Shortly after that, I got the 2nd PSA 10 of that card and sold it for 1K. And a couple weeks ago, a third PSA 10 of that same PSA 10 World Series surfaced and sold shortly thereafter for about $700. OTOH, a PSA 9 75 mini George Brett Rc sold for about $400 a couple years ago and even though there have been a lot of PSA 9 (maybe not a LOT but at least a few) Brett RCs graded in the interim, thereby increasing the pop report for that particular card, the value of a PSA 9 Brett RC now commands at least $400 and closer to $500 for one that is solid for the grade. The difference between these two examples is that the value of 1 card was tied in directly to its pop number, while the other is based more on the star value and overall appeal of the card itself.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.