Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1953 Bowman Pee Wee Reese?

So what makes this card so "special"?

I just bought this PSA 3.5 on eBay Pee Wee eBay Link I don't have it in hand but I am pretty excited about adding it to my collection.

I know the obvious in that it is just a cool looking card, but is there anything else that makes it so popular?

Also, I ended my VCP recently so any thoughts on my price? The seller originally was asking $249 then he had a 25% sale to reduce it to $187.50. I sent a message offering $150 on double eBay bucks day and he took it.

Hook'em
Hook'em

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Just a beautiful looking card IMO. VCP average is $150 for a 3.5 so it's a fair deal for both sides image
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Cool, that is what I thought. I have always enjoyed seeing it and am running out of cards that I need for my "rookie" collection so am starting to venture out with some cards that have a different appeal.

Hook'em
  • Options
    jasoneggertjasoneggert Posts: 486 ✭✭
    The 53 Bowman Peewee Reese is popular because it is probably the most beautiful card ever made. And it happens to be of a popular player on a popular team.

Last year I made a custom Jackie Robinson mashup card to pay tribute to the beauty of this card.

Nice pickup btw.

-Jason
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Nice card. I like those action shots when the player is up in the air. Congrats on a killer card.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So what makes this card so "special"? >>

You pretty much figured it out, but it's a combination of...

a)HOFer playing in a city that loves baseball
    b)in a popular set with great photography
    c)on a horizontal card
    d)with one of the coolest action shots on a baseball card

The Hall of Fame aspect is a big factor. I have old price guides from before Pee Wee's HOF induction, and this card didn't carry much of a premium over the other minor star cards.
  • Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Also, isn't it one of the first action shots on a card, period? I know it was staged but still...
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    and it is the only black and white image in the set- it was hand colored to use on the card.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Lots of cool info in this thread. Thx for sharing.
    Hook'em
  • Options
    Brianruns10Brianruns10 Posts: 227 ✭✭
    And what a shame, IMO, that the 52 Topps Reese is so expensive..I think it's one of the worst looking cards in that set, and one of the worst Reese cards...I mean, it looks like they pasted his head on another guy's body, and did a lousy job of it...a rare missfire, in the otherwise almost uniformly gorgeous high series.
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite cards, I had no idea it was so much. I'll have to get a low grade sometime in the future.
  • Options

<< <i>Just a beautiful looking card IMO. VCP average is $150 for a 3.5 so it's a fair deal for both sides image >>

Thanks for the pricing info. I made my offer based upon some completed auctions on eBay PSA 3 & 5's plus some SGC's. There were not any recent 3.5's sold. Your are right that it is a fair deal for both!
    Hook'em
  • Options
    I have this card in PSA 6.5. It and my 1965 Topps White Sox set are the centerpieces of my rather humble collection.

In addition to what has already been said about it being a cool action shot, consider what baseball situation would have Reese leaping to avoid a runner returning from third to second? Truly the only one I can think of is a double-steal line drive triple play. Reese goes to cover second during the steal, batter hits a line drive caught by Reese, Reese steps on second to force out the runner on second, then leaps to avoid that runner while throwing to first trying to force out the runner who started the play on first. Even that's not very likely, because Reese wouldn't likely have been assigned to cover 2nd on a double steal.

I think the more likely answer is that they just didn't really think through the shot. image

Brad
    Always looking for vintage White Sox cards at reasonable prices.
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have this card in PSA 6.5. It and my 1965 Topps White Sox set are the centerpieces of my rather humble collection.

In addition to what has already been said about it being a cool action shot, consider what baseball situation would have Reese leaping to avoid a runner returning from third to second? Truly the only one I can think of is a double-steal line drive triple play. Reese goes to cover second during the steal, batter hits a line drive caught by Reese, Reese steps on second to force out the runner on second, then leaps to avoid that runner while throwing to first trying to force out the runner who started the play on first. Even that's not very likely, because Reese wouldn't likely have been assigned to cover 2nd on a double steal.

I think the more likely answer is that they just didn't really think through the shot. image

Brad >>

Looks to me like a routine double play. Reese, playing shortstop has moved to his left to cover second on a ball hit to the right side of the infield. He is preparing to throw to 1st and the run is doing a rolling slide to take out Reese. Or, Reese has fielded a grounder hit to him and has moved over to the bag to make the out and begin his throw to 1st. It is an odd slide by the runner, but that could have been the normal back in the day. Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    The background makes the card.

It looks like the little league fields that many of us grew up playing on.

You can also see a little bit of the "field of dreams" aura in that background shot.