Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Lib nickels in the Baltimore sale-what do you think about the results?

TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
As a serious Lib Nickel collector( up until 2006), I reviewed the results-mixed in my view.

Several of the MS 67's made new highs, and a few didn't( incl. one not sold). I believe a true 67
is still undervalued, as there are only about 20 for the entire series( with cents varieties).

Many of the high end proofs went wild. Curious that the proof collectors are more aggressive than the MS collectors.
Perhaps because the strikes on the MS coins are almost always not full. Stars and corn ears really show up on proofs.
And colors are nice on many.

Congrats to JHF on a great set, with good results on most dates.
TahoeDale

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dale: While many proof coins did exceptionally well as you noted, the top Mint State coins in many cases also did just fine For example, look at a snapshot of these (7) results including (4) MS coins and (3) proofs (in a few cases the reserve did not actually show at Bowers as bidding had topped the reserve prior to it even being entered by Bowers 1 week ahead of the auction):

Lot 2314 - 1887 PCGS-PR67CAM). Reserve $7,500 hammer. Sold for $18,400.
    Lot 2323 - 1891 PCGS-MS67. Reserve $15,000 hammer. Sold for $23,000.
    Lot 2328 - 1893 PCGS-MS67. Reserve $15,000 hammer. Sold for $21,850
    Lot 2331 - 1895 PCGS-PR67CAM. Reserve $7,000 hammer. Sold for $25,875
    Lot 2337 - 1897 PCGS-MS67. Reserve $13,500 hammer. Sold for $18,400
    Lot 2348 - 1901 PCGS-MS67. Reserve $13,500 hammer. Sold for $23,000
    Lot 2357 - 1905 (PCGS-PR68). Reserve $7,500 hammer. Sold for $28,750

One of my favorite coins in the sale ... the monster toned 1888 PCGS-MS66 also sold for $23,000. Congrats to all the winners of these great coins!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I read a report written by someone else that was not all that positive on
    the higher end MS coins. Suggested that many appeared overgraded by a point
    and had too many flaws to really be a "wow coin", despite being "+" and CAC.

I collect these, although at a little lower grade (ms63 - ms65). I find selling MS65s
    to be hard enough. Most dealers or collectors say you can get a "close-enough" good
    looking coin for half or 1/3rd the price. MS63 and 64 are real easy to deal.

As for full cobs and stars, that is what i really look for. i wont buy a coin that is not 100%
    on stars and at least 75% on cob. Thats why i look at all grades, not just stuck on the
    highest grade for technical surface. image
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Legend report on the Liberty Nickel sale certainly did not suggest the pop top coins were weak quality. I am thrilled to read that Legend ended up winning the 1888 Liberty Nickel. Back about (10) years ago when it last sold at Heritage, if memory serves me right, Laura was the underbidder at that sale. I lot viewed the coin and informed JHF that the coin was utterly amazing, REAL color and a coin he absolutely had to own for his world class Liberty Nickel collection he had recently started to build. I believe JHF had essentially decided that he intended to win the coin at virtually any cost. Luckily, the bidding stopped at around $21,850 that night at Heritage. Obviously, the coin did not perform all the well over the past ten years with Legend stepping up and winning it at $23,000 this week. But, again, I tried to suggest reasonable reserves for the collection, overall, and $20,000 hammer was the level I selected on the 1888. I am a little surprised that, once again, it was only Laura that saw the beauty and value in this coin (just as we battled it out for the coin about ten years ago). I personally grade the coin MS66+ with an outside shot at MS67. Congratulations to Legend for purchasing this amazing coin!

Wondercoin

"THE STACKS SALE

Did we not say when figuring the Liberty Nickel Sets to start by doubling a value then multiply it by a ZILLION???? WOW! Did those coins go insane!!! But then we'd expect nothing less. The quality was AMAZING. This is why you have to understand chatrooms are not places for serious information on auctions (there had been threads about how stupid the reserves were). Many people who comment are totally unqualified but want to show off and act like like they know it all. We'd bet because of that a few people probably missed bidding. Anyone who does know the high end market knew those coins would sell for "beyond moon money". Just try and find ANY MS67's now that these are gone. There never were a ton of real outrageous Deep Cameoed GEMs around.

There were several coins that did NOT meet reserve, but those were in the minority. Legend stepped up and bought the wildly colored 1888 PCGS MS66 CAC 5C for $23,000.00 and the FINEST graded MS67+ 1902 5C for $28,750.00. You NEVER see coins like these. The price history on the 1888 includes it WHOLESALING for $21,850.00 several years ago. We also held our breath that we could buy the 5C 1889 PCGS PR67Cameo CAC for $17,250.00 (our mx bid for a collector). The 1887 PCGS PR67 Cameo that sold before it brought $18,400.00.

This is a situation that every single person who puts any coin in auction dreams of-apparently two people went at it on the 5C 1895 PCGS PR67 Cameo CAC. It sold for an insane $25,875.00. You wish you were the owner of the other one thats graded!!!! But these result are what happens when you have FRESH, NICE (in this case AWESOME), and EYE APPEALING coins. Had they gone for less, then we would have worried about the market. The sale of Liberty 5C proved with out a doubt how healthy the high end market is."

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file