Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay auction - 1954 wax packs and 1972 wax tray

Somehow I missed this auction when it was active (not that I could afford it anyway):

1954 wax packs and 1972 wax try

What do y'all think? Legitimate stuff? Wouldn't the seller be better off selling as 3 separate auctions?
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Address not valid.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link is bad.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>1954 & 1972 >>

Look legit to me. The 72 tray retails for about 1K and I recall a GAI 7.5 54 wax pack selling for $1,200 or so a in a Heritage auction couple of years back, so I'd say he did fairly well with that price.

Edit to add: I believe that 72 tray was the one Steve had for sale on his site for quite a while.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    by no means am i an expert, but with both 54s GAI and a waxtray that is seemingly really easy to counterfeit, that auction would scare the heck out of me
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    David - Thanks for fixing the link!!
    Daniel
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    not that it matters but I believe those 54 wax packs are the OPC version with regular topps cards

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

<< <i>by no means am i an expert, but with both 54s GAI and a waxtray that is seemingly really easy to counterfeit, that auction would scare the heck out of me >>

I doubt Steve would be selling a counterfeit 72 wax tray. The GAI packs also look good to me from the scan.

This seller is also no stranger to '50s unopened as he has sold a number of packs from that era.

Edit to add: Wax trays are actually very difficult to counterfeit--more so than wax and cello or racks. The cellophane
    Topps used to produce these is much thinner than the cello used for packs, and tears very easily.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look legit to me as well and the buyer left positive feedback. The low feedback count of the seller would have concerned me but it looks like all worked out well. I concur that the '54 wax packs are definitely OPC with the 4-card indicator. These most probably came from the find from 4-5 years ago that I believe were auctioned through Mastro.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    it was a legit auction. the seller bought the 54's from memory lane in a lot of 8 packs a few years ago. I bought 2 from him for way less than his average cost on best offers. another board member here bought one and another dealer bought 2. not the smartest way to break down a lot , buy high, sell low. he probably broke even on this sale
  • Options

<< <i>it was a legit auction. the seller bought the 54's from memory lane in a lot of 8 packs a few years ago. I bought 2 from him for way less than his average cost on best offers. another board member here bought one and another dealer bought 2. not the smartest way to break down a lot , buy high, sell low. he probably broke even on this sale >>

So let me understand this, the guy gives you a good deal and and he makes it back by making more on other people so he can break even and you come on here and tell us what an idiot he is? Is that the gist of what you are trying to tell us? Or are you just trying to tell us the packs are legit? What is the main point you are trying to get across?
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    ok, the packs are legit, i guess.

I didn't even know OPC made cards in 54!, when did they start?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>it was a legit auction. the seller bought the 54's from memory lane in a lot of 8 packs a few years ago. I bought 2 from him for way less than his average cost on best offers. another board member here bought one and another dealer bought 2. not the smartest way to break down a lot , buy high, sell low. he probably broke even on this sale >>

and you come on here and tell us what an idiot he is? ? >>

He didn't call anyone an idiot.

Nice packs, nice deal all the way around. Sometimes it's great just to break even.
    Look at the guy who paid 10,000.00 for a 1972 Nolan Ryan PSA 10 five years ago, and now they're selling for 3,250.00
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So let me understand this, the guy gives you a good deal and and he makes it back by making more on other people so he can break even and you come on here and tell us what an idiot he is? Is that the gist of what you are trying to tell us? Or are you just trying to tell us the packs are legit? What is the main point you are trying to get across? >>

no idea your issue but let me clarify, he broke even on the 2 packs that he just sold. he lost money on the other 6 packs he sold.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    as jmoran mentioned the cards are regular '54 Topps cards, just packaged in Canada and thus the OPC version. I believe the OPC versions had 4 cards, the US version 5
  • Options
    leftofdialleftofdial Posts: 442 ✭✭
    Don't feed the alt/trolls.

+1

+.5 bonus