Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How common are modern coins struck from rusted dies??

I pulled 20-30 identical coins with the exact same raised defects in exact same location from a mint bag of 1000 Bison 2000 nickels.

It appears the die must have been rusted.

Agree??

Other explanations??

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well if you found 20-30 a bag, imagine how many are out there. I know Ive seen a few, but never paid attention to it. Who knows someone might collect them as varieties decades from now just as we do with Vam rusted die Morgan Dollars.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does the pitting affect the grade?

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I pulled 20-30 identical coins with the exact same raised defects in exact same location from a mint bag of 1000 Bison 2000 nickels.

It appears the die must have been rusted.

Agree??

Other explanations?? >>

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they're Chinese counterfeits!

:-o

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    No one answered questions............

How common are findings consistant with rusted dies being used in modern coins??

Is this an example of a rusted die product??

Other damage to die??
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Looks a lot like the air bubbles on the cents. Have you taken a toothpick to any of the larger ones?
    Becky
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks a lot like the air bubbles on the cents. Have you taken a toothpick to any of the larger ones? >>

He said there were multiples with the exact same marks. Random bubbles would not do that.

Rust on modern dies is virtually unheard of. I do not recall seeing any. That makes me wonder if this die was plated, and improperly plated, with the raised spots where the plating did not take. This is merely a guess.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a coin die set where the reason for retirement was defective chrome, so that could be a possiblity.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file