Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Three pence

Does anyone have information on a British three pence (1871). I know nothing about world coins. My wife has one she wants to turn into jewelry. It has a figure on the obverse and III on the reverse. What is it and what is it made of ?? (she wants to polish it and mount it and use on a chain as a necklace). It's very worn and has no real value other than sentimental. She tried to polish it and was unsuccessful....says it has some black spots. I know you should not polish coins and I never do but this is hers and she wants to do it.

I haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure what it really is ? Any pictures anyone has would be appreciated to compare it to later tonight. Thanks.
JRH

Comments

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0.925 silver fine. No special value to this date...Polish away IMO!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Thanks, but I just got a call from my wife.....seems it's not British.....it's a U.S. coin afterall so I know what it is. As Gilda Radner would say.......NEVERMIND !!
    JRH
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    British 3d's have an Arabic numeral 3, whilst the USA 3c have the Roman Numeral III.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, thought he had a typo there...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.