Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA wait times

I know this topic has been brought up quite a bit recently, and I don't mean to pile on, but the wait times I am seeing are really getting bad. I sent in 2 cards on May 27th simply for re holders. They were PSA 10's with the old label and I just paid the $5 for a reholder. They were inputed June 8th and I still have not received. That seems extraordinarily long just to rehold a card.

I also have 15 cards into them for grading that has been a month since sent and 3 weeks since inputing into my account, but that's a different process and I understand. I would think re holding would be fairly quick and simple
The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
TheClockworkAngelCollection

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I agree that reholdering a card should be a quick and simple task, I believe this is something that PSA does when they get around to it. If I remember correctly, it is stated somewhat to that effect on their site.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    I see the wait times as good for our hobby. If PSA is busy, then our hobby is happy and healthy.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are very busy and backed up but that is a good thing for the hobby, imo. You can always try another grading company with a quicker turnaround time, but in the end everyone (for the most part) still prefers PSA even with the longer wait times.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I am on day 14 of a 10 day sub,
    not counting 4 days to log

not happy.. sure hope the grades are good
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on day 12 for a 7 day sub.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i've popped more pimples this month than PSA grades. image
  • Options

<< <i>i've popped more pimples this month than PSA grades. image >>

LOL...

It is what it is. Had a 45 day sub that took 58 days, have a 10 day sub on day 12 right now. I'm not concerned as everyone is in the same boat. We can complain till the cows come home, but it's not going to speed up the process.

I will also add BGS is in the same boat. I have done 4 subs over the past 3 months, and have experienced similar wait times.

I'd say the hobby is alive and well!!!!
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭
    Today is day 10 of a membership renewal that is supposed to take 7. At least I had the submission entered the day after received.

I also have a mechanical sub in the same package that hasn't popped though "My Orders" shows the changes made, and I've been able to add the corrected cards to my sets. I'm assuming that PSA will pop and ship these with my renewal poppage.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I'm also on day 14 of a 10 day sub. Logged 6/8.

Dpeck, that's terrible that you paid extra for a 7 day sub and its on day 12.. I understand the turn around times are an estimate but once the wait crosses into another price range or service level.. Then their should be some sort of compensation.. Like a voucher for the difference in price from what you paid for and what you actually got.

What psa should do is guarantee the shorter more expensive durations.. And increase the wait time on the specials.

Micon,
    If your bgs sub went over the time that was specified they will give you a 100 percent refund. You have to battle a bit with customer service.. But their turn around times are guaranteed.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    I went for the 5 day special because I am impatient. On day 7...
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eagles I think this is a serious problem that PSA needs to address fast to keep their clients happy.

I paid the $189 to get the Platinum CC Membership and only do so to have the ability to submit 15 cards at a much faster service level.

The good news is I am not a dealer or someone who needs the cards back quickly to sell so this is just an annoyance.

The bad news is I am not getting the product I paid for and I have been extremely frustrated checking my account to only see your order is still being processed.

I think it is great that PSA is doing so well and have so many items coming in for grading. I am obviously a PSA collector with 99.5% of my collection of graded cards in their holders so in the big picture this is not that big of a deal to me.

Customer service in every industry is huge and PSA is going to have to step it up becuase this level of service is simply unaceptable and if it persists will be bad for business.

I called in a few minutes ago and the customer service rep was very understanding and she has clearly been bombarded with phone calls and many customers are very upset and she said that they are working to correct the problem.

She seemed to think that my order was in the final stages of being completed and hopefully that is the case.

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    With the exception of the Platinum Membership (I opt for just the Gold)... I echo what DPeck said.

I stalled on reupping last year because for the first time in three years, I had a submission that went over the full 45 day (yeah, I know it's approximate) term! That was an early July 2011 submission, that didn't pop until mid-to-late September. Finally reupped on November 1st, and every single sub (with the exception of 1, which I pleaded to have slightly rushed; 20 day that popped in 12... albeit, after taking over 2 weeks to log) has gone full term or well over.

For a few years, everything I submitted was fast and/or relatively fast... now, we're going on a SOLID YEAR of this supposed BACKLOG. Not slammed for a few weeks, or merely a couple of months... but a FULL freakin' year. Unacceptable doesn't begin to adequately define the problem. From an outsiders perspective, it sure doesn't appear that the problem(s) is going to be fixed anytime soon... in fact, it might only be compounded with the upcoming National.

I just can't get unstuck, and wrap my head around, the fact that it's about to be a full year of degraded service. I know that good graders don't grow on trees, I know that California is a higher cost-of-living area... but I simply cannot fathom, in the business world, why and/or how a business can let this type of execution continue for as long as it has. Are they not paying their employees well enough (IE. to recruit new talent)? Are employees leaving due to poor management? Why hasn't, in a year, all this increased revenue translated to improved customer service, not this degraded level we've all been experiencing?

This is a management problem, plain and simple? Either they don't have the management in the right positions to seamlessly handle this supposed growth, or the management they do have in place (be it individually or collectively) is failing the long-term growth potential of their organization. Business may be good now, but if you can't continue to offer a superior product/service... business won't stay good!

Again, it's been a freakin' year PSA, let's get your act together... and quickly!

PS: Currently on Business Day 29 of a 30-day submission... all 2012 Bowman baseball cards... so much for all of the same issue usually producing a relatively quicker turnaround!!!
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I seriously just sold the cards I had slated for my 7 free grades instead of dealing with the hassle at PSA. Anyone need a 7 grades voucher?
  • Options
    LakersFANLakersFAN Posts: 288 ✭✭
    The Solution is very Simple , if they would actually grade a Card RIGHT the first time , no one would crack the cards out of their encapsulated tamper-evident, sonically sealed, high-security capsules , and re-submit which causes this backlog image "Oh wait never mind , duuuh , they want us to play the re submit game" Mo' Money! Mo' Money! Mo' Money! into their already "Fat Pockets" .
  • Options
    I agree that something needs to be done about the long wait times. I will not be renewing my membership and will stick with BGS as I've NEVER had an order go over the stated turnaround time paid for with them. I am moving to more modern cards as well, so that definitely influences my decision a bit. Monthly specials going over the limit is one thing, but having specific turnaround times exceed the time limit is unacceptable in my opinion. What is the point of paying for upgraded service in the first place if it's not going to be completed. I'm sure they are working around the clock, perhaps expansion is a must at this point.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I'm still waiting on the cards of some prospects that I sent in. Can't wait to get back my Sam Horn, Cameron Drew, Hensley Meulens and Gregg Jeffries cards. I'm not exactly sure how long it has been, but . . .

See #5
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Well, we know they are very short on graders and are actively looking to hire. They simply don't have the manpower to match the demand right now. I am talking to their HR person about helping them find people (I do that for a living)

But in the meantime they should really put something on their web site taking away the turnaround guarantees or refund the people that are not getting it in the time stated. Those of you that paid extra to get it back in "X" amount of time have every right to complain and deserve some sort of credit
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys dont put Express 1 day grading on the outside of the package for your June 20 day specials?
    JK
    But I wonder if it would get them logged in that day.
  • Options
    They just need to prioritize.... The 5, 7, 10 day orders should take the stated wait time... The 4.50 special should be the orders that get bumped. Most of my orders are the cheap specials... But every once in a while I'll throw together a higher service sub. If they put expected wait time 90 days on a 4 dollar special I would have no prob waiting the 90+ days..
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    I've found reholders are lower priority w/psa and can take up to 45 bus. days
    to get done. Although I had my last reholder batch of around 40 cards
    pop in less than three weeks. So that was a nice surprise.
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    Even Psa mechanical errors are taking a month to get fixed. This itself is so pathetic! It's there mistake Fix it the day they get it back. Psa come on!
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    My only fear is that they are so backed up, cards are not getting properly graded. I am sure they have added additional staff - what if my cards wind up getting graded by a new person who doesn't want to come accross as too generous? I was not totally happy with the grades on my last sub - especially after the long long wait.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    what if my cards wind up getting graded by a new person who doesn't want to come accross as too generous? image
  • Options

<< <i>My only fear is that they are so backed up, cards are not getting properly graded. I am sure they have added additional staff - what if my cards wind up getting graded by a new person who doesn't want to come accross as too generous? I was not totally happy with the grades on my last sub - especially after the long long wait. >>

OR...

What if, in their urgency to hire and train someone, the "new guy" misses a couple slight flaws that their Senior graders would have caught that would have brought it from a 10 to a 9 and instead you get a 10? image
  • Options
    SullyknowsSullyknows Posts: 104 ✭✭
    10 day sub, with the package marked "10 day service" took 8 days to log in, and 18 days to grade (business days). I will be requesting vouchers.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    I just think that 20-day subs should never come back quicker than 5-day subs. Ever. Because then it is just random chaos!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭

<< <i>I went for the 5 day special because I am impatient. On day 7... >>

I had a 5 day special that took 9 days this month...It is just a couple days, but if you look at it as a percentage of 80% over estimated time it would be like waiting 81 days for a 45 day sub and that is ridiculous...
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else know someone who exaggerates and you need to translate what they say in your head? So if they say they were stuck in traffic for 35 minutes, that means 20 - 25 minutes. If they saw 5 people do some random act, it really means 3.

Just multiply all PSA times by 1.75. So 45 days means 79 days. 10 days means 18. If we all do this, almost everyone will get their cards back on time and sometimes way ahead of schedule. Imagine getting your cards back in 38 - 48 days when you expected 79. You'd be happy about it. The number of people that miss will fall to the low amount you would expect with the approximate tag. At least consider it...
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does anyone else know someone who exaggerates and you need to translate what they say in your head? So if they say they were stuck in traffic for 35 minutes, that means 20 - 25 minutes. If they saw 5 people do some random act, it really means 3.

Just multiply all PSA times by 1.75. So 45 days means 79 days. 10 days means 18. If we all do this, almost everyone will get their cards back on time and sometimes way ahead of schedule. Imagine getting your cards back in 38 - 48 days when you expected 79. You'd be happy about it. The number of people that miss will fall to the low amount you would expect with the approximate tag. At least consider it... >>

+1

I expect 45 business days to be 3 months so if I get my stuff back sooner than that, I'm happy, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Didnt PSA downsize at the economic downturn? Why do I remember something being said about that? I dont think that the hobby is so alive and well more than PSA has shorted themselves.

If they hire the wrong people, there is going to be a lot of disgruntlement of grades and that wont be good for PSA either.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    My two subs arrived on Monday and logged in today.

45 day pack sub and 30 day card sub.

30 day sub not due to finish until 8/10.
    The extra time is better for me because I know they are running late,
    so I won't start checking progress until August.

Normally I would start my status check obsession right away. image

Joe

• Options
    Day 15 on my 10 day sub that was logged on 6/8 came and went. I understand the wait times are estimates.. But when they charge extra for a quicker turn around time and when the wait is 50 percent longer than expected.. It warrants some sort of refund. Clearly I paid a significant premium for a specific turn around time and they failed to deliver.
  • Options
    rcvd 4/30, not logged until 5/10, just spoke w/CS today and a very nice lady said "It's Day 34 so far" after she identified me and my order status w/o me mentioning a word about it over the phone other than "Uh, hello?"

so, "It's going the full 45" said she and I just love rum.
  • Options
    iInterestingly enough, my 15 card sub that was posted as logged in 2 weeks ago has been graded and shipped (disappointing and perplexing as usual-but that's another story). So they graded those cards, but are still sitting on my 2 reholders. ANother poster posted that they set those aside and they are very low priority and I am seeing that
  • Options
    bbuckner22bbuckner22 Posts: 1,028
    I just had a 10 day sub pop the other day, but I'm shocked at the grades. EVERY card is 1 to 2 grades lower than expected. I know I always miss on some, but every card? Must have been the new guy who didn't want to come off as too generous.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options
    they've been getting hypertechnical for quite awhile. sorry about your disappointments.

i've been giving my crackout tools a good workout so far this year.

every time i free an undergraded vintage card, i feel the power of Andy Dufresne escaping from prison.
  • Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭

<< <i>Today is day 10 of a membership renewal that is supposed to take 7. At least I had the submission entered the day after received.

I also have a mechanical sub in the same package that hasn't popped though "My Orders" shows the changes made, and I've been able to add the corrected cards to my sets. I'm assuming that PSA will pop and ship these with my renewal poppage. >>

Poppage took 12 days for my renewal submission.
    Kevin Thomas
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Here's a question, how fast does it take PSA to cash your check or charge your credit card upon receipt of your order?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    I had a positive experience on my wait time that I wanted to share. I sent in a sub with 35 cards...1975-recent cards. I forgot to put delivery confirmation on it and forgot to put the service level on the outside of the box. It hadn't been logged for two weeks, so I called customer service just to see if their records showed they received it. I gave them the insurance label number and they told me that yes they had it and they were back logged and said since I didn't put the service level on the outside that was probably why it was delayed in being logged. Within the week, it was logged, graded and shipped. Don't know if my call to CS hurried it up or what.
  • Options
    day 17 on 10 day 17 card sub...
    just sayin
  • Options
    GoldlabelsGoldlabels Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Mine took 25 days for 10 day review