Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979-80 OPC Hockey Box mailday! What to do?

Hi everyone!
I had a pretty good mailday, I got in (among other cards) a 1979-80 OPC Hockey 48 pack wax box:
here's a pack

I am deciding on what to do with it. Should I send it in to PSA to get slabbed and sell by the pack or sell the full box, packs graded? or keep it as is and sell by the pack or sell the full box?
Any opinions?
Dan

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I'd say that's one heck of a mail day. I vote you rip every pack, but I'm not exactly known for my self control around unopened material.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how much you have into the box.? What did you pay so we can give a better judgement. It cost 15.00 a pack to grade and if they grade 7s and you paid 325.00 a pack i would say not to grade.
    It also cost money to sell on ebay. Do you set up at shows? Or do you plan on selling on ebay for the next 1-2 years pack by pack? Do you need to sell them at a min amount to make money?
  • Options
    LOL! As tempting as it is for a chance at a Gretzky, I'm gonna fight the urge to rip!
  • Options
    I'm leaning towards grading them and then throwing them up on ebay. My cost was pretty good (+/- $200/pack)
  • Options
    Beezer12Beezer12 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Depends what you paid for the box and what profit you can see flipping it as is and where you'd do that.
    Selling slabbed high end packs is always going to maximize your profit margin and the empty box is worth $150 give or take. You might also factor in how long it would take to sell 48 packs and not unduly lower their value by flooding the market. I'd suggest not selling them raw simply because that year has a poor rep for bad packs, alhough that is probably true more for Topps than OPC.
  • Options
    ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    Rip them until you pull a Gretzky then grade the rest. You can also sell them raw on the boards over time. Good luck with whatever you do.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    That's a fun problem to have!

48 X 14 = 672

With a 396 card set, it's Probable to get 2 Gretzkys...could be 1...could be 3

At $200/pack, definitely not worth ripping IMO. You'd need a PSA 9 or 2 to make your money back....not likely

Good Luck whatever you do

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    200.00 a pack. Just flip it and sell it as a box ungraded. Grading will cost 500-750
  • Options
    Guys, Thank You for the opinions! I will take them into consideration and hopefully have my mind made up by this weekend,
    Dan
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd say that's one heck of a mail day. I vote you rip every pack, but I'm not exactly known for my self control around unopened material. >>

I would too!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards