Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Check Out My Cards

I'm sure there are quite a few board members who use COMC to sell their extra inventory. My question is what type of cards sell best on their website, or to the buyers, what type of cards are you looking for on their website?

My guess is the following would do the best:

mid-grade vintage (stuff not worth paying the grading fee)
numbered inserts worth a few dollars or more (to satisfy the player/team collectors)
autographed rookie cards of second-tier players (appeals to the speculators)
obscure sets (regional, food issues, smaller manufacturers)

I've been studying the website, and it appears inserts from the current year do well - I'm guessing due to set collectors.

Very interested to hear what COMC users have to say. Thanks for your input.

Reed Kasaoka
Buyer, Baseball Card Exchange

cell: (808) 372-1974
email: ReedBBCE@gmail.com
eBay stores: bbcexchange, bbcexchange2, bbcexchange3, bbcexchange4

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I just bought about 30 singles from COMC yesterday, all low dollar Ripkens for the purpose of possibly getting them graded. I like the fact that they provide a nice front and back scan of each card, of the ACTUAL card you're buying. I also like how you have the option of making a lower offer to the seller. Finally, I like how you can buy a large number of cards for one combined shipping charge.

I've never sold on that site, but I'm strongly considering it.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I usually have 50-60 cards at any given time in my checkout account (from buying). I really like the site for the reasons mentioned. It is by far the cheapest place on the net to pick up those $1-2 inserts, and you can sometimes find some nice deals. For example, I purchased a 2000 Skybox Dominion Brady RC PSA 10 for $20 a couple months ago and instantly sold in an ebay BIN for $45 (most were selling for ~$50 on ebay at the time, with store prices 2x).

I pretty much just buy Tony Gonzalez cards off there but sometimes pick up a graded card or two or some Steve Young cards. I am guessing Gonzalez has just one more year left so I have been working more on him lately.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • HeadsUp38HeadsUp38 Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I've bought from the site. Easy to navigate. You get to see the cards you are buying front and back. Even with all that it is easier to find cards than some of the other sites. If I need 200 cards from my 1973 Topps set, it probably wouldn't take me two hours to click and search. Site has a lot of obscure stuff which is nice. If it's not Pre-1970 and $5, single non-sport cards can be hard to locate. COMC's inventory is not as extensive as I would like, but they are getting there. Like that they have the cards rather than ordering someone else to pack their cards and ship. Haven't lost $$$ with the other sites, but have had to get their customer service department to refund my money when the cards were not sent which was a pain.
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    I have bought from them several times now. I would like to hear more about selling on there as well. I have been thinking about sending them some extra stuff I have. They ship fairly quick and package everything well.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I've been buying there for a few years now. Great site.

I just recently sent 110 inexpensive cards there to see how selling would go. 20 cents per card to submit. I only submitted cards that I figured I could sell for more than 20 cents.

They do take a 20% cut off the top if you try to cash out your money, so I was just planning on using any money I make on the site towards other purchases.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    I've sold about 2000 cards on site and it has been a positive experience all the way around. One thing to keep in mind is the 20% fee they take if you cash out. I think the best way to utilize the site is to use your card sales to purchase other cards for your own collection, that way you don't lose the 20%.

You are pretty much right on in your guess of what sales best. Some of the obscure stuff is where I think the best money can be made, especially if there are no other examples listed on the site. Be careful with the vintage as they charge extra for putting condition notes on the listing. I've also had decent luck with some low dollar jerseys.

I really wish COMC would give past sales information. It would be very interesting to see some of those numbers.

They have offered listing specials at the past few Nationals so be on the lookout for those. Last year the special was $55 for a 400-count box where the box could have cards from, at most, 5 different sets. This works out great if you have a lot of cards from the same set. Comes out to about 14 cents a card compared to the normal rate of 20 cents per.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    My only experience is with buying. I had sold a few 1993 Elite Dominators on ebay for roughly $37 each in mint condition. These for some reason had taken off in price and were selling for multiples of book value. I checked out their site and bought 7 different ones for about $2 each and turned around and flipped them for about $8, although they werent in mint condition.

Bottom line is, obscure inserts, especially ones that are condition sensitive can be found here and you can see what you are buying. For higher dollar cards, in my experience of looking at the site, they are generally overpriced in any condition
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

<< <i>I've been buying there for a few years now. Great site. I just recently sent 110 inexpensive cards there to see how selling would go. 20 cents per card to submit. I only submitted cards that I figured I could sell for more than 20 cents. >>

So, 1 week after my cards went live, I've already recouped shipping and listing fees. This was a bunch of cards that were probably going to get thrown away or donated, so everything after this is profit. image

I listed a bunch of vintage commons and modern stars and parallels. Besides a few Maddux rookie cards, everything that's sold has been from 2002 or newer. If I add more cards to the site, I'll probably stick with newer stuff.

I received my cards in three business days, and about 95% of them are sub-worthy. I really examined each card's scan before adding it to my list, and those are the exact ones I received. I'm extremely happy as a buyer, and once I get time I'm going to be putting a stack of cards together to sell on there. Great site!
  • I have been selling there since Dec... Been doing well with what I have listed. Sell stuff on there you could never sell on ebay...

Again -- Autos, Inserts do the best, base cards do well in the year it was out, but after that it is dead (note if you list for under .25c there is no storage fee per month)..

Again I would also recommend not to cash out, but to buy others cards on the site to save the 20% cash out fee, but if you are looking to cash out, also look at getting Blowout Card Gift cards, as if you are going to buy newer stuff, this ends up being less then the 20% cashout at higher levels.

Another benefit is that you can have your cards listed on Amazon as well,

Also if you are a first time seller.. Call the customer service BEFORE you send cards, they will give you a "credit" for your first order to try out the site.

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭
    I just requested a 38 card order of some Jimmy Hunter cards to be shipped. I can post scans when I get them if anyone wants. I was very pleased with the last batch I got.
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    COMC has a great promotion going for the National. $55 for a 550 count box full. Shipments must be postmarked by Monday the 6th. It looks like they are raising their rates to 25 cents per card later this year, so this might be the last chance to get this kind of price before the change.

COMC Special

Also, if this is your first submission be sure to look into the $20 credit for first time sellers.
  • llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    That's a lot of work for $.20 per card!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards

<< <i>That's a lot of work for $.20 per card! >>

$55/550 = $0.10?

Regardless, that's a hell of a deal.
  • Been selling on there since Dec. also..Its a great avenue for things that wont typically sell on ebay and its not a lot of work. Like it was stated earlier the best way to use the site is to use your store credit to buy other lots and resell those..that avoids the $.20 listing fee and the 20% cash-out. Either way where else van you sell 1990s commons or send a lot of invaluable cards and sell as a bulk port sale. Its really been a great experience for me so far.
  • COMC is the bomb!!!

I've been selling and buying on there for almost a year now and I love it! Flipping cards is the best part. I've made significant profit dozens of times.

I've never cashed out because I always end up buying stuff I want for sets im putting together. I just think of it as a place where you can get trade stuff you have that's worth a few bucks, but you dont care about for stuff you want.

Avan
  • i'm considering COMC for my excess 70's commons (75, 79 mostly) - these are straight from vending/pack/rack so higher grade -
    any view out there that these may do a little better noting that there is almost no wear and high grade corners/edges when i post them?

trying to guage if this will work for 70's stuff - a ton of inventory on there already but it seems to be EX at best -

any one have any experience moving some high grade stuff on COMC?

<< <i>trying to guage if this will work for 70's stuff - a ton of inventory on there already but it seems to be EX at best >>

70s stuff seems to move a lot slower than newer cards, but maybe it's just the cards I sent in.

• I'm happy to hear about this site. Seems cheaper to sell than on eBay and its a good way to build towards a collection or something. It does say not to send in hoards of 80's and 90's commons. But it also says to send in items valued at $1 or better. However, starting price for, say, 1985 Don Mattingly is $0.35 with 54 in stock. And it would cost an extra quarter if you want to make descriptions to it. Another nickel for them to take it out of a hard top loader. Certainly they are charging you for their work, but I think in general it is working for the card market as you are getting the item you choose.

Anyone know in general how frequent sales are versus eBay? I mean, there are 54 Mattingly's (I am using him has an example, not picking on him or anything). Whats the sell rate? If I decide to be the 55th 1985 Mattingly, I am guessing they are not moving 10 Mattingly's by the week. I am sure the low prices are reflective of the condition as well, so the choice is the buyers and not the same as low-balling everything (I should hope not).

Just wondering if anyone has a vague idea.
    Things can move quickly. I sent in around 500 cards (all low dollar stuff that it wouldn't be worth the time or hassle of listing on Ebay) with their special before the national ($55 to process a 550 count box), and after I put prices on all my cards, I made my money back within 12 hours, and the rest is all profit.

However, I also try to have the lowest price to ensure quick sales. They do have a 20% cash out fee, but you can avoid that by re-investing in other cards.