Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone get a 5oz silver London Olympic coin?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
They look fantastic! Pretty pricey, though, if you're purchasing from the US. I could buy 3 National Parks 5 oz silver coins for that price.

Link to Royal Mint's site.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. Guess it's a thin line between fantastic and phoned-in.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the coin, not the price. Talk about a major markup.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Like the coin, not the price. Talk about a major markup. >>

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Authorized max mintage 7,500. I wonder how many will be struck and, ultimately, release?
    I have always wondered when there is an authorized mintage how we find out how many were actually released.
    I have watched a number of sets struck by the RM for other countries and find that their appearances can sometimes
    be much less and less frequent than the authorized mintages would suggest.

Sorry, not to pirate the thread as I agree this is a beautiful coin but at far to "beautiful" a price!
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Authorized max mintage 7,500. I wonder how many will be struck and, ultimately, release?
    I have always wondered when there is an authorized mintage how we find out how many were actually released.
    I have watched a number of sets struck by the RM for other countries and find that their appearances can sometimes
    be much less and less frequent than the authorized mintages would suggest.

Sorry, not to pirate the thread as I agree this is a beautiful coin but at far to "beautiful" a price! >>

You're not thread hijacking at all; I wondered the same thing myself. What if everyone mehs at it? They could end up like the first spouse coins. No interest in the first or secondary markets. At least the first spouses aren't priced out of orbit should you only get a few bucks over melt.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Bleah. Looks like a reject from The Hunger Games.
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I like the reverse proof concept found on many modern coins - especially the bullion from Australia - just not crazy about this one.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy premium Batman, yikes!
  • Options
    Nice Coin..Nice Price..Pass.