Home Precious Metals

Picked up a commemorative set at local shop. What do you think?

Went to the local shop yesterday looking to just pick up some junk silver to add to the collection and saw this and could not pass it up. It is a proof set and has 1 oz silver 1/10th ounce gold and 1/10 ounce platinum. It says in the COA that there were only 10000 made and seemed like a good deal to me at only 400 bucks since that is not too much over spot for all of these coins in proof settings but not sure. I am new to the coin game and not as experienced as some of you all are and was wondering if you have ever seen this set or if I made a good purchase. Thanks in advance for any advise you can give.

Steve

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that's awesome, and assume the other side of the coins has the medium-aged Elizabeth, rather than the really old-looking portrait they use now (my favorite is the girlish one from the 1960's)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Guess the Maple can be $60, the gold about $200, same for the platinum. $460
    Not to mention nice case and the set affect, which don't know about in the price or how common/uncommon in Canada....
    And the mint count.

Very nice! and an enjoyable collection piece which I appreciate. Kewl
    COA
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Nice! What's not to like?image
    Becky
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love RCM products!!

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that silver is just the regular one. Aren't they all proofy anyway on those regular? I've got a bunch of silver ones and I want to say that's just how they are.

Nice set, haven't seen a plat maple on here in a long while. I'd snag that set too at that price.
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    It's a nice set and a pretty good price you got on it to boot.

<< <i>I think that silver is just the regular one. Aren't they all proofy anyway on those regular? I've got a bunch of silver ones and I want to say that's just how they are. >>

The coins of this set are struck in a proof (frosted relief on mirror background). Regular maples are struck with a bullion finish (brilliant relief on parallel lined background).
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like ya got a real nice set there, nice pick up image
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!! Great purchase.
    Timbuk3
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice! What's not to like?image >>

• << <i>I think that silver is just the regular one. Aren't they all proofy anyway on those regular? I've got a bunch of silver ones and I want to say that's just how they are.

Nice set, haven't seen a plat maple on here in a long while. I'd snag that set too at that price. >>

Like someone earlier said they are all proof coins because I have a gold maple leaf coin and a silver maple leaf and these are much more shiney. This is the 10th anniversary commemorative set and like Baley said they all have the younger Elizabeth on the other side. I actually started looking up stuff and saw an onilne auction from back in 2008 of this same set and they showed the coins and the seller had the proof silver coin but the platinum and gold coins had the older Elizabeth and they were not proofs so someone was trying to pull a fast one and keeping the proof coins. Thanks again for all the comments guys.
    Steve
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nothing wrong with collectible bullion. Nice set!

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the silver Proof maple sells for around $100 and are always seem to be in demand. I believe it was also a low mintage.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • I saw that as well. I noticed that there were a lot of different proof sets they put out that year. They had wooden box case that just had the silver 1 oz proof that it sells for between 90 and 100 bucks so I did better then I thought I did. It is a very nice set and was well worth it just in actually gold, platinum and silver content but with the premium that seems to be with these sets it seems like it was a pretty good deal.
    Steve