Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

British West Africa 1936 1d Mule - KM#17

I found a British West Africa 1936 1d mule (KM#17) a few months ago and it's just been graded by our hosts as XF45. This coin is muled with the 1936 East African 10c. Trouble is I cannot find any references as to it's scarcity or value (other than Krause). Anyone got any more information on this coin? I am really struggling to find anything about it.
Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.

Comments

• WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I found a reference to one at Heritage
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Bill image

Here's the certificate page:

http://www.pcgs.com/Cert/27001917.html
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. Congrats!
  • While my primary collecting focus is British and Australian pre-decimal bronze, I also have been collecting BWA coinage, which has proven to be quite challenging (do you also collect the full range of BWA?). The best specialized reference book I know of for this is “The coinage of British West Africa & St. Helena” by David Vice published in 1983. He states the 1936-H mule is known to have circulated in Nigeria, and is a genuine error that was struck in quantity (no amount given). Regarding pricing, in his book he shows it at 100 GBP in VF and 150 GBP in EF (noting that by UK standards of this era EF would be nearly Unc).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

InforaPenny
  • mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Inforapenny. Thanks for the information on the Mule, it's a lot more than I've been able to find out in several weeks of looking.

I've been looking the last week or so for a copy of that book but the prices are rather high! I collect BWA 1/10d, 1/2d and 1d. I'd love to get into the other denominations but there's no material available in Australia and the prices are a little high for what really is a side-line for my main collecting interests.
  • mnemtsas2,

Perhaps like you, although British and Australian pre-decimal bronze is my specialty area, as prices and availability have sharply limited the scope of my collecting, I’ve turned to other Commonwealth series such as South Africa, NZ, Jersey, etc. and finally BWA, perhaps the most difficult of these. I’m fortunate in now having a fairly complete date and mintmark run of BWA, 1/10d through 2s, mainly missing the rarities.

Regarding information on BWA coins, this seems very hard to come by and I’ve yet to find a website that has much to offer, or even other interested collectors. I should also mention “The Guidebook and Catalogue of British Commonwealth Coins” 3rd ed. by Remick, James, Dowle and Finn, published in 1971, which has a few useful pages on BWA, and much useful information on other Commonwealth coinage.

Best Regards,

InforaPenny
  • HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone ever see a BWA 46H 1/ for sale?