Home Sports Talk

MLB All Class-Act Team (1950-present)

Just my opinion of some of the nicest, classiest gentlemen to ever play the game of baseball.

C Gary Carter
1B Jim Thome
2B Jackie Robinson
SS Ozzie Smith
3B Brooks Robinson
LF Stan Musial
CF Dale Murphy
RF Al Kaline
DH Harmon Killebrew
UT Cal Ripken
Pitcher Tom Seaver
Pitcher Orel Hershiser

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't have done better than that list.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Gary Carter? It must have been slim pickings at catcher. What about Elston Howard? Carter was not a bad guy, but he was a hot dog. One of his nicknames was "Lights," because he never saw a camera he did not like.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just my opinion of some of the nicest, classiest gentlemen to ever play the game of baseball.

C Gary Carter
    1B Jim Thome
    2B Jackie Robinson
    SS Ozzie Smith
    3B Brooks Robinson
    LF Stan Musial
    CF Dale Murphy
    RF Al Kaline
    DH Harmon Killebrew
    UT Cal Ripken
    Pitcher Tom Seaver
    Pitcher Orel Hershiser >>

Great list. I can't argue with anyone on there, but I'd like to think that Ryne Sandberg and Fred McGriff could make the 2nd team. For current players deserving consideration, I'd include Brian McCann.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Johnny Bench for catcher? I don't remember him ever being a surly person, but I was a small kid when he played.
  • zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

<< <i>What about Johnny Bench for catcher? I don't remember him ever being a surly person, but I was a small kid when he played. >>

Bench was a good guy as well. I watched him on "The Baseball Bunch" as a teenager and always thought he was a stand up guy. I just loved Carter's enthusiasm. He always had a smile on his face.
    I actually wanted to pick one starter and one closer but I couldn't for the life of me think of a closer that really stood out as a super nice guy. (They are usually really intense or flakey). So I just went with two starters.
  • C Yogi Berra
    1B Sean Casey
    2B Ryne Sandberg
    SS Ernie Banks
    3B David Wright
    LF Willie Stargell
    CF Brett Butler
    RF Roberto Clemente
    DH Edgar Martinez
    SP Tim Wakefield
    RP Dan Quisenberry
  • Donnie Baseball

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    First name that came to my mind was Nolan Ryan (as long as you can forget the Ventura incident). Then Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, and Ken Griffey, Jr.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭
    As for Mattingly, I remember when he wouldn't cut his hair to conform to Yankees rules.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryne Sandberg? Folks here in his hometown of Spokane would tell you that he was a grade A jerk. I can't comment on that one way or another as he was long gone from here when I moved here but I've heard the same comment from several that knew him. He has acknowledged that he had to change his behavior and personality as a manager because he was such a jerk early-on.

Tabe
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    some good named for sure.

heard a few bad things about j bench.

certainly add bob feller. He graciously signs for anyone and always pleasant.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Mike Piazza at catcher? Ive always heard great things about him being very nice.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Tim Wakefield is about as nice as they come.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Craig Biggio
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Robin Roberts had a reputation as an honest, fair individual who went out of his way to help young players from minorities, when that wasn't necessarily the most popular thing to do. He certainly should be considered.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First name that came to my mind was Nolan Ryan (as long as you can forget the Ventura incident). Then Cal Ripken, Tony Gwynn, and Ken Griffey, Jr. >>

self-defense
  • I'd substitute Peewee Reese and Gil Hodges.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite his very important position in baseball history and his first two years of behavior, there is NO WAY Jackie Robinson would make this list.

It is well known that he was a very aggressive competitor and had MANY run in's with other players after his second year.

This does not mean he wasn't a fantastic athlete and baseball player.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

Jackie Robinson was a fierce competitor, no doubt about it. Think about what he had to prove to the baseball world and to society in general.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt he had to put up with a lot.

Regardless of what he put up with, his personality was not one of the "nicest and classiest" he just wasn't that nice.

In no way is this a criticism of his abilities or toughness to have to put up with the total garbage he got from many.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set