Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you collected the entire gold spouse series...

So Ive been collecting the proofs from the beginning and I just got to thinking I'd kinda like them in PCGS slabs. How would this affect the value in the end if and when it's time to sell? Hopefully they would be all 69's and 70's... But that may be wishful thinking. Right now my collection just looks like a lot of gold boxes. I kind of like the new edgeview holders too.

Comments

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get them graded - it protects the coins, easier to store, and then keep the boxes just in case someone wants the boxes over a 69 coin.

PCGS is much tougher than NGC on this series, and I think while PCGS/NGC prices are similar at the moment, they will start to separate if/when this series becomes popular.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So Ive been collecting the proofs from the beginning and I just got to thinking I'd kinda like them in PCGS slabs. How would this affect the value in the end if and when it's time to sell? Hopefully they would be all 69's and 70's... But that may be wishful thinking. Right now my collection just looks like a lot of gold boxes. I kind of like the new edgeview holders too. >>

I have uncs in PCGS slabs and I like it. Most of my proofs are raw and I think some day they might look stunning in a Dansco together (if they would make one). You might end up with one or two 68s. Your preference mostly but the result might not be worth the cost. The non-First Strike grades are not nearly as popular in this series but there are collectors for them out there.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Dansco idea, then again they aren't my coins. If you take good care of the coins, they can always be graded in the future.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Thats what I was kind of thinking. It probably wouldn't add much value in the long run especically in non- first strike holders but I do like the idea of the added protection and easier storage/display. I thought I heard someone on these boards say you could bring your coins to PCGS at their facility and have them graded but I guess I was mistaken because I contacted them and they said you had to mail them in. The value of a complete set would have me worried sending it through the mail. image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could bring them to a show and hand them in to PCGS there.....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can definitely leave them at a show or find a local dealer to submit them for you.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Let's see some pictures!!! Congrats on your great work! Sounds like a real thrill. I too have the gold bug, but for vintage coins. It is sure contagious!

• Options
    I forgot all about grading at a major coin show. That sounds like more what Id be comfortable with.

Ive been getting all proofs except lincoln i picked up an unc too, not sure why thought it might be a winner someday. Wish I had picked up uncs for the liberty subset. Everybody rags on the series but its kind of fun to look foreward to each one and all the different designs although some are lacking LOL.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep them free of the slabs... everyone in the world knows they are either a 69 or a 70 and many of the 70s don't carry much of a premium anyways.

I sold off all of mine except for my Liberty subset in unc and proof. The price of gold rising just made collecting them all too expensive for me. I made a display of the Liberty subset at one of the recent Long Beach shows and I was surprised that so many collectors had never even heard of this series. And many collectors knew about the First Spouse coins, but didn't know about the Liberty subset. But once they knew about them, nearly everyone wanted to know where they could get the coins!!!!! At least until they heard the price!!!

Here's a pic of the display I did for the show:

• Options
    Very nice display! Im still wondering what theyre going to do this year. Here we are going on july and no spouses yet. I bet they release them all at once talk about sticker shock!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I have uncs in PCGS slabs and I like it. Most of my proofs are raw and I think some day they might look stunning in a Dansco together (if they would make one). >>

Are they the same diameter as the presidential dollars? If so, you could place the proofs in a Dansco presidential dollar album (the one-coin-per-president version).

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Keep them free of the slabs... everyone in the world knows they are either a 69 or a 70 and many of the 70s don't carry much of a premium anyways.

I sold off all of mine except for my Liberty subset in unc and proof. The price of gold rising just made collecting them all too expensive for me. I made a display of the Liberty subset at one of the recent Long Beach shows and I was surprised that so many collectors had never even heard of this series. And many collectors knew about the First Spouse coins, but didn't know about the Liberty subset. But once they knew about them, nearly everyone wanted to know where they could get the coins!!!!! At least until they heard the price!!!

Here's a pic of the display I did for the show:

image >>

What a Great Idea Mike!

It's kinda like actually "using" your collection and having it work "for" you instead of gathering dust in a SDB!

Congrats!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice display!
    A double set of proof first spouses would look soooo sweet in a display tray.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file