Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Turn The Page

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
Can you be a coin collector if you don't have any coins?

I have "turned the page" to the next chapter in my numismatic life. I few weeks ago I sold my entire collection.

I was pretty proud of the collection too. I spent a lot of time and effort, not to mention a little money, building it over the years. I focused on building a type set of colonial era coins and I required each coin to have a traceable provenance. It made a pretty interesting collection, I think.

Although I was very happy with the deal, I thought I would have some regrets. Surprisingly, I don't. In fact, I consider it one of the best decisions I've made in years.

I'm still posting on the forum (obviously); I still check a few favorite website frequently; I still like to talk coins; I'm still very much interested in history as told by coins - particularly the history of America in the colonial era; but I have no interest in buying any more. It's like a switch was flicked inside my head and presto!

So what now? Maybe I'll get into cataloging coins for auctions. Maybe I'll write articles for Coin World and the Numismatist. Maybe I won't do any of that, since it all seems like work!

Who knows? I am a collector without a collection...and I like it that way.

(P.S. - I love the Bob Seger song so I thought I'd borrow it for my thread title. image )

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats! I am happy that I was able to purchase one of your previous coins.

It's like a switch was flicked inside my head and presto!

Perhaps you can help me locate the switch in my head. Then again, if I am asking about it, maybe I am close to finding it. image
  • Options
    CalebCaleb Posts: 739
    You could alway start a collection of "Statehood" quarters image
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I'll reserve a seat for you at the table in case you come back.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's a wannabee collector defined

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>that's a wannabee collector defined

image >>

Wannabee collector...hmmm. I think I just found my title for when I go over 10K posts! image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why did you sell? Why not just sock the collection away and see if it grows in value?
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold about 50% of my inventory last year to take huge 500% bullion profits when silver near $50 an ounce. I had been sitting on the stuff for awhile. I have been slow in replacing (and still nowhere the original investment) it not much a buyer unless something that is basically a steal.....In these tough times I like being inventory lean and cash rich! I have been buying some nice numismatics (at my price) and some have been selling at good prices with the right buyer. One needs to watch what they spend on coins in total as it can be addicting and coins don't pay dividends or interest. Get in a bind where you need to sell then you may be taking a big hit.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

<< <i>Why did you sell? Why not just sock the collection away and see if it grows in value? >>

I had a few reasons...

At a certain point, which is different for each of us, a coin collection can become a burden.

I've posted in other threads my thoughts about some of the things I don't like about the hobby. No need to rehash those here. Weighing the bad vs. the good, there's still a lot of good about this hobby. But the bad does get tiresome.

All that said, the primary reason it all boils down to was that I had other things I wanted to do with the money that I had tied up in the coins.

It was time.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    great song..."turn the page"

it's ok if you slip too

but

we'll get the 30-60-90 day chips together
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess one could say that you are now "on a long lonesome highway east of Omaha" image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think your able to be a numismatist without owning any actual coinage.

It's not selling your collection that ends a hobby as it's the lack of desire to continue to learn.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>I am totally shocked! But I am happy if you are happy. You didn't save one, WOW? you had one of the coolest collections, I often drooled over it and muttered to myself should I colelct colonials too because they are so gorgeous and historical and so early USofA but I just didn't want to swerve too far from the road that I am currently driving on. Again congrats on one of the nicest collections i have ever witnessed actually growing and always drooled over/admired!
    image >>

Thanks!

I did save one actually...A coin with sentimental value. image

-

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    hmmm
    coins anonymous would like it's welcome chip back...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you sell the knowledge in your head, no? Then you are still a numismatist.
  • Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Options
    When I turn the page, I will probably keep the two boxes in my sig line, just in case. image
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Bob Seger wrote Turn the Page after having a nervous breakdown image
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting topic.

At the end of the day a coin collection is just "stuff", and for the most part "stuff" doesn't make a person happy. I suspect you got satisfaction from the collection from learning about the coins and meeting people with common interests than you ever did from physically "owning" them.

I suppose at some point I'll probably wake up and realize what I could trade my collection for. Quite possibly I shouldn't think about this too much........

Good for you for making the right decision. I'm sure the new owners will be very happy to have them.
  • Options
    While walking our dog the other night, my daughter asked me what are my favorite hobbies. I quickly rattled off a half dozen different interests.

She replied, "What about coins?" image

At the end of the day a coin collection is just "stuff", and for the most part "stuff" doesn't make a person happy. I suspect you got satisfaction from the collection from learning about the coins and meeting people with common interests than you ever did from physically "owning" them.

I think that there is a lot of wisdom here, and I am coming to believe this more and more.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    My dad, who collected when I was young, describes something similar. Maybe it was not being able to tell the difference between cleaned and not cleaned coins, or seeing one too many old lady getting ripped off in a B&M (true), but one day he just "lost interest", in his words, and hasn't looked back.

I can remember accompanying him once on a Saturday in the 80's to his office at GE to sell his Morgan dollar set to a coworker, for something not too far north of $1000. It was all very mysterious and remains so to me today.

Once in a while I'll show him a coin or two if I have it with me when I go to visit him. His response to an 1876 $20 MS61 NGC CAC I showed him was classic- "looks like wear on the high points to me!" image

I couldn't rebut that one. Still can't. image
  • Options
    What do you really own in this life anyway? Nothing. You rent.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "At the end of the day a coin collection is just "stuff", and for the most part "stuff" doesn't make a person happy. I suspect you got satisfaction from the collection from learning about the coins and meeting people with common interests than you ever did from physically "owning" them."

"I think that there is a lot of wisdom here, and I am coming to believe this more and more."

I also agree.
    MLC, are you going to keep your books and catalogs? These alone could keep you tied to the hobby. A number of numismatists (e.g., Ira Goldberg and Mark Borckhardt) do not collect coins, so don't assume that personally owning coins is a prerequisite to remaining tied to the hobby. Most of my satisfaction with coin collecting stems from learning about coins and related issues (mining, economic history, political history, changing design influences, changing coin production technologies, etc.), and only secondarily is derived from actual ownership. This is why I am also assembling a numismatic library.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is just part 1 of MLC's posting......part 2 will be in a week or so when he announces he is only collecting moderns like the SHQs and the ATB 5oz silvers image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I think that there is a lot of wisdom here, and I am coming to believe this more and more. >>

Very true. I don't buy much right now, largely since I've gotten to a point where there aren't many coins that I both want and that are in a price range I can either afford, or to which I would extend myself with money I do have. But I still take great pleasure in playing with the coins I do have, working in the business, and enjoying the camaraderie here and at shows.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great song..."turn the page"

RUSH !!!!
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

<< <i>At the end of the day a coin collection is just "stuff", and for the most part "stuff" doesn't make a person happy. I suspect you got satisfaction from the collection from learning about the coins and meeting people with common interests than you ever did from physically "owning" them.

I think that there is a lot of wisdom here, and I am coming to believe this more and more. >>

I agree.

There is some pride and satisfaction in ownership. But I reached a point that I was able to say "been there, done that" and I could move on. I'm sure that point is different for everybody. I was able to put together a nice collection; I owned some expensive coins; I owned some inexpensive coins that were cool for other reasons; over the years I've owned the "key dates" that I wanted so badly as a kid; I had become knowledgeable about my collecting specialty.

So I became satisfied that I had accomplished my most important goals as a collector, and simultaneously reached a point in my life where I valued other things more.

A coin collection is indeed just "stuff". But we all like "stuff". Our priorities change as life goes on and so does the "stuff" that's most important to us.

Maybe you never reach the point I did. That's ok for you. But I learned that I derive as much enjoyment from learning about coins, learning about history, and social interaction with other collectors as I do from buying and owning them.

In many ways, it's like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders and I'm free to enjoy other aspects of collecting without worrying about the money and the competition.

It's all good. image
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi MLC,

I think you will be back as a collector. Look at RYK; he has quit several times. image

If you love coins they are more than just stuff, a hobby, or capital. One does not have to own "finest knowns" or pedigreed coins to enjoy such IMHO. There are several coins I want in killer VF.

It is a curse,

K

• Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Quick question. Did you save the pics and research that were a part of it?
  • Options

<< <i>Quick question. Did you save the pics and research that were a part of it? >>

Yes, but since I no longer own the coins, I won't post or share the pictures. They are just for my own memory. image
  • Options

<< <i>Hi MLC,

I think you will be back as a collector. Look at RYK; he has quit several times. image

If you love coins they are more than just stuff, a hobby, or capital. One does not have to own "finest knowns" or pedigreed coins to enjoy such IMHO. There are several coins I want in killer VF.

It is a curse,

K >>

I have spent a good part of today posting on this forum, discussing a variety of topics, and just having a good time talking coins.

Believe it or not...I still have no interest in buying any.

I like the fact that I am able to still contribute productively (I think image ) to this forum; I can still enjoy the hobby without the money aspect of it. It's really a nice sense of freedom.

But I would not recommend it to others unless they also built some collections, bought and sold some coins at a variety of price points, ventured a little out of their comfort zone a time or two and stretched for an expensive coin, built a registry set or two, played the crackout/regrade/upgrade game, and generally explored all facets of the hobby first.
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta know...WHERE DID THAT MYDDLETON TOKEN GO???

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

<< <i>I gotta know...WHERE DID THAT MYDDLETON TOKEN GO??? >>

I don't know. image
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a great piece. You sold them all to a dealer I presume?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

<< <i>That was a great piece. You sold them all to a dealer I presume? >>

Thanks. It was the cornerstone of my collection.

And yes, I sold them all to a dealer.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

But if you are happy, I guess that is all that matters!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    I was expecting a Bob Seger thread.

Once a collector alway a collector
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am now at the point in my life where I am thinning the herd down to my core collection. Probably will settle on about 100 coins or so. I know for some that seems to be a lot, but for me this is a major downsizing.

To accomplish this, I have been setting up at local shows in NC (and maybe some surrounding states) to sell of all the extras and the neat stuff I picked up over the years. Sure, I could lump it all together and sell it to a dealer for a deep discount. But this would rob me of the chance to see how the dealers live and I have learned a lot about what it is like to sell coins for a living. I also would miss the chance to work with the collecting public - I enjoy people for the most part - I don't let the occasional jerk bother me. IF selling at shows gets tiring, I'll just quit.

I've also sent a number of more esoteric varieties in holders to Teletrade. First time in many years I have sold there. So far, they have done a fine job.

Further down the road, when I am ready to liquidate the core collection, it will go to one of the major auction houses.

So for me, turning the page may take years, but I have a plan - I am sticking to it - and since I don't need the $$ it is a real load off of my mind.

(Now if I only had a plan to get rid of all the "stuff" that has collected in the garage over the years........)

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    okracerokracer Posts: 436

MLC, you ARE a Numismatist, Collector, and Enthusiast!

......I think we can to get too wrapped up in "titles" or expectations ( Registry this and that, cleaned/not cleaned, slabbed, stickered, POP 1, "best of this and that", what club do you belong to....) and lose sight of the bigger enjoyable aspect of the hobby.

You had fun, and can still have fun, with the hobby..........whatever level you participate in!

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good on you Mark. If you're happy, I'm happy for you.............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope the sale turned out well for you

There are many things worthy of collecting and starting a new chapter to learn and appreciate more of what is truly important- design, craftsmanship and artistic merit-there are several directions and roads to travel so enjoy the trip- just don't forget where you have been along the way

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>I was expecting a Bob Seger thread. >>

It could have been a Metallica thread. image
  • Options
    It's been over two months now since I sold my collection. I have not had any urge to buy a coin. I think the page really has turned.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get a numismatic itch, scratch it by working with YNs. Watching someone else catch the bug can be worlds of fun.
  • Options
    BanemorthBanemorth Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was expecting a Bob Seger thread. >>

It could have been a Metallica thread. image >>

FWIW I thought it was a Metallica thread but I'm a different generation image

Be happy! That's all that matters image
    Justin From Jersey

Successful Transactions With: JoeLewis, Mkman123, Harry779, Grote15, gdavis70, Kryptonitecomics
  • Options
    I'm still crushed that you didn't offer to sell me any Morgans in your collection! I would have paid you so much more!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file