Home Metal Detecting
Options

Weekend ending June 24, 2012: Frantically trying to stay ahead of PPC!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
Since PPC is relentlessly working day and night to catch up on silver, I rushed out this weekend to up my silver count! (actually, the silver here was found before his thread, but this sounds better.)

Got back out two more times to the place that yielded 55 wheats and the barber dime. Only got four additional wheats, and a 1946 Roosie. Also picked up a nice sterling ring and a small sterling charm from mexico (looks like lawnmower got it).

Also got a 1904 V nickel, but it's pretty beat up, so no picture needed.

Some surprises were two older buttons. Now, I don't know the age of the current structure, but my guess would be early/mid 1900s. The one button with the star design looks to be tombac, which is generally associated with late 1700s. The other looks to have been plated at some point - maybe with silver? This location could have some nice surprises if there's more older stuff there. Would be awesome for a large cent, but right now, a silver roosie is awesome!

HH all

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually just sat in the house this afternoon. It was just too hot with no air movement for me today.image
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious. What type of location is it that you are hunting? Is it an old field? A yard from an old house?
    Are you finding lots of distracting junk metal beeps in & around the good stuff?
    I've been getting frustrated lately with field vegetation making it tough to sweep and lot's of scrap junk taking away from digging actual treasure.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm curious. What type of location is it that you are hunting? Is it an old field? A yard from an old house?
    Are you finding lots of distracting junk metal beeps in & around the good stuff?
    I've been getting frustrated lately with field vegetation making it tough to sweep and lot's of scrap junk taking away from digging actual treasure. >>

The area I'm hunting is currently a school play field. With the town being settled in the 1770s, I'm wondering if it could have originally been farm field, as it has yielded a couple of older buttons.

There is a lot of junk in the form of iron (get a lot of nulling), and lots of lincolns. I don't understand what kids do with pennies at school, but they like to lose them! BUT, there's good stuff mixed in. At the very least is pocket change, which is a nice gas rebate.

What kind of areas are you hunting with a lot of junk? If it's a lot of brass and copper, work on a "scrap" bin and cash it in at the end of the year. I bet that will add up quickly.

You have to work with the vegetation growth. In the spring and fall are farm fields/woods areas - areas where vegetation has either not started yet, been plowed, or has died due to winter frost. In he summers I hit more parks, recreation areas, houses

Don't get frustrated...the longer you're out there and the more you dig, more (and better) keepers will come. I heard someone recently say that we're junk diggers who occasionally find good things :-).

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. The last couple fields I went to in an older farming area of town was pretty fruitless. The grass was sparse, but about knee high.
    I could swing the coil but not smoothly without bumping into stalks. After the detector went crazy a couple times beeping silver, coins & gold I ended up digging
    up buried pop cans or old crumpled tin foil.
    I've decided I definitely need to get myself a pinpointer. I've spent way too much time digging around in holes with a clear signal and not finding what's in there.

I don't mean to just complain - I have found about $5 in change the last few outings. One button I dug up was completey surrounded in dirt with
    nothing but the gold edge sticking out. That was a pretty good rush thinking I had found my first gold ring... turned out to be just an old brass button.

I need a decent pair of gloves. After two days in a row hunting, my fingers turned so dry that they split in two places.

Happy Hunting!
  • Options
    Old farm fields can be very slow going. I regularly hit a field that's yielded some older things, but you can go an hour with only a few pieces of scrap metal.

A pinpointer will make detecting a whole new ballgame. Once I got one, it greatly reduced recovery time, and also made the messes smaller! It's a life saver.

The unfortunate things about cans, bottle caps and foil is that they all kind of sound like silver or gold. I hate digging those things, but in order to find the good stuff, they usually have to be dug too.

What kind of detector are you working with?