Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hel[p identifying a coin, i think it is french?

Can someone help identify this coin? My dad brought over a box of his coins and im trying to catalog and sort them, this coin was in with a bunch of Great Brittian commemoritive coins if that helps? i have looked everywhere and cant find anything on it.

Thanks so much image

Collector of 1935 SC's, Modern Small sized and World notes with an emphasis on UK and Extended British Empire

Winner of the elite "you suck" award June 26, 2012 and January 2, 2013.

Several BST's referral upon request.

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a coin? Probably a French medal.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charles de Gaulle was a French general who led Free French Forces in WW2. He later founded the French Fifth Republic in 1958 and served as its first President from 1959 to 1969.

I think this medallion has something to do with the French Legion of Honor medal. Same motto - Honneur et Patrie.

I wasn't able to find any info so far other than someone else asking about it on the french numismatic forums without an answer.
    fficial%26biw%3D946%26bih%3D1053%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=RcDnT8GaLPPU6QG0jKHhDg&ved=0CF0Q7gEwAQ">Link to that thread can be found here.
  • Options
    Looks like I'm not the only one. This one is a real mystery. Hopefully someone here can figure it out.
    Collector of 1935 SC's, Modern Small sized and World notes with an emphasis on UK and Extended British Empire

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically a French WW2 victory medal.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Just trying to figure out what metals its made of and possible if its valuable

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Thats a much older portrait of the Gaulle on the coin, thats how he looked in the sixties,
    the coin/medal can not be made in 1945 , but maybe around 1970, the year he died (1890-1970)
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Hey Andres, fancy seeing you over here on the coin side image.
    It would make sense, this particular lot was obtained early 80's.

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Yeap, like them both, currency paper & coins image
    checked on the internet, Charles de Gaulle coins & medals , lots and lots of them image
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Just spent about 20 minutes hunting, for kicks. Seems like French "medals" are fixed to ribbons and often star-shaped or encased rounds (with no reverse side showing). I'm thinking this isn't a medal. However, definitely not a coin (no denomination or country present on either side).

I'm thinking a token, though searching for that led me nowhere. The cross is the Cross of Lorraine, but searching that didn't help either.

When the internet fails, try books. Good luck!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE