Home Precious Metals
Options

eBay auction reeks of fraud, shill bidding

piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
10 oz stacker bar

Look at bid history and retraction. An account with fb score of 1 places an insane bid of $1500+ for the bar a WEEK ago, and the bid was retracted today just before the auction ending.
Seller has been reported, not that it'll do much good, but I feel better.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    yep good catch !!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't even say you hit the same key twice with that bid.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the retraction but I don't get the angle . image The greyed out bids were removed by the cancellation of the $1500 bid? Each of those greyed out bidders then has an active bid above the greyed out line that is instantaneously outbid? Did the underbidders even know they may have been back in the money for a while? My head hurts trying to figure out what the other bidders would suddenly see when that bid was retracted

The new bidder is making a lot of bids but that appears to be the only bid with that seller 55 bids with 33 different sellers doesn't seem like a shill to me more like a lunatic.

As a seller I'm more worried about the underbidder with a feedback score of (8)

• Options
    And then the winner has the dreaded "private" (code for shill) feedback status LOL
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The winner is ok he is Frank from the Netherlands that asked the question that is posted at the bottom of the listing .

Just another northerner worried about the collapse of the Euro buying bricks of silver image

You see what I mean about the 8 feedback under bidder? He has bid on 145 items in the last 30 days . Everything in that list is bullion whats that all about? That seems excessive
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Shill bidding is unethical; but here it's also being incompetently done.

I don't understand why someone would shill bid that bar @ $1,500. Listing says it's a new bar; as far as I know, it's a fairly common bar (and ugly to boot) and isn't going to sell for anywhere near that much. A smart shill bidder would have bid much closer to the real value, maybe a little on the high end. Withdrawing the bid a day early at that high of a price just tips off the other bidders, and would probably make me cancel my bid too; it's very suspicious.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    There are 2 bids on there from a newly created account also, not to mention the one with a fb score of 1 that retracted the bid. The seller repsonded to me when I asked about the excessive bid that was placed a week ago and retracted the day of the auction by saying that "the buyer asked me to retract it." That makes it even more evident of fraud because it was removed under the 12 hour limit in which a bidder, and seller for that matter aren't supposed to be able to make any changes.
    I agree with secondrepublic, shill bidding dusgusts me and this wasn't hidden very well, almost to the point of being blatant about it.
    Let's hope eBay sees it the way we do and suspends this seller for at least 30 days.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "Let's hope eBay sees it the way we do and suspends this seller for at least 30 days. "

I will suspend the seller for my lifetime!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    good eye and catch
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shill bidding is also illegal and because of the liability it places on ebay they take it very seriously.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt