Home Precious Metals
Options

Chris Powell of GATA says manipulation of Gold doing fine.. Video at End of Turds Post

NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "When the US Dollar is ultimately dethroned as the world's reserve currency (and finally gets rid of all those ridiculous three letter post-Keynesian economic "theories") nobody will have seen it coming. Well, nobody except for the following headlines: ""World's Second (China) And Third Largest (Japan) Economies To Bypass Dollar, Engage In Direct Currency Trade", "China, Russia Drop Dollar In Bilateral Trade", "China And Iran To Bypass Dollar, Plan Oil Barter System", "India and Japan sign new $15bn currency swap agreement", "Iran, Russia Replace Dollar With Rial, Ruble in Trade, Fars Says", "India Joins Asian Dollar Exclusion Zone, Will Transact With Iran In Rupees

They all have my condolences.

In the end it matters not whether any market is manipulated. The question is ones ability to profit. If one blames manipulaton on their generating profits, then the problem is a faulty trading or investment strategy. To blame someone else for misfortune is a typical human response. Its easy to pass blame. Thats why we do it and why we will continue to do so. It is also why so very few prosper while most fail. Responsibility for ones own actions are the first steps to becoming a good investor. Fortunately, we have built a system of monetary policy that fosters inflation, hence, even those who are miserably wrong can generate positive returns OVER TIME. This is why real estate was widely accepted as a "good investment" because people held for years and years. It was only after flipping became the rage that that asset blew up.

Those who bought PMs in 1991 can now finally feel vindicated, even though they were dead wrong 50% of the time. Time heals all wounds.

Like I wrote in another thread. How much time do you have stacked?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the end it matters not whether any market is manipulated. The question is ones ability to profit.

I agree.

If one blames manipulaton on their generating profits, then the problem is a faulty trading or investment strategy. To blame someone else for misfortune is a typical human response.

I don't blame anyone, and I accept that most markets are manipulated. I don't have a problem generating profits. The shame is in unfairly manipulating markets for personal gain and then lying about it. That's the issue.

When this type of behavior goes unpunished, it's no wonder that capitalism gets a bad name and people lose confidence in the system. To make things worse, people now expect not to be responsible for their own bad decisions. The whole system is undermined by manipulated markets.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Define "unfairly".

To me, fairness assumes something is owed or entitled. The markets, any of them, owe nothing to anyone. They are what we make of them. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the markets are governed by laws and regulations that are intended to protect investors from fraud and theft. Price fixing is illegal, even when overlooked and sanctioned by the very people empowered to enforce the law. Regulators owe this protection to the people that pay their salaries.

Investors are entitled to expect that laws protecting their invesments will be upheld and enforced by the public servants they pay to do so, just as they rightly expect other laws to be enforced.

Markets are what they are today because of this failure.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfairly, in a market context - to take money from segregated accounts held by the custodian in violation of the legal terms of an agreement.

Unfairly - to allow flash trading by computer programs without a forced settlement process for every trade.

Unfairly - to limit the number of long positions or the degree of financially-leveraged long positions in a market while allowing unlimited naked short positions in the same market, without identifying the holders of the unlimited naked short positions.

Unfairly - to create and distribute "money" sequentially and disproportionately via the banking system, allowing such distribution to become a significant profit center for the preferred distributor banks.

Gosh, I could probably go on for hours with this game.....but hey - nobody said life is fair.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.