Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1976 S Kennedy Half Silver Nicely Toned... GTG YES PCGS GRADED NOW!! Wild Toner!

Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
Pulled this out of a three coin set... the Dollar and Quarter were pretty nasty but the half looks killer!

UPDATED PCGS GRADED... Care to guess the grade?
Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you give it a acetone rinse. I would to stabilize it and might help the luster.

Those 40% silver mint sets have some killer coins in them.

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    pretty example by all means
    50-50 chance color gets accepted but good news...it's worth 2 trips if needed...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    You pulled this right of a set? Pretty cool.
  • Options

<< <i>You pulled this right of a set? Pretty cool. >>

Yes, and thanks! She looks just like the picture!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful, my sets are all white n boring.
    Plans on getting it slabbed?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    She??? A Kennedy is a she?image

Nice color on the obverse, reverse....not so much.
    Becky
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting coin; the color is likely NT, but I do NOT think they will grade it.image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    All my pretty toners are sheilas! image

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All my pretty toners are sheilas! image >>

Becky
  • Options
    The 40% silver clads are extremely hard to find with attractive color. Never-the-less, yours is very nice! I tried an experiment with 50 BU 1965-69 Kennedys to see how they would tone up over the years. I placed some in Whitman albums, some in manila 2x2 envelopes, and some in a cardboard pencil box. Without exception every one of them toned up an ugly dark brown or black. It's has something to do with the 80/20 silver/copper mix that doesn't allow for the pleasing, often beautiful, toning that occurs with the 90% silver coins. Canadian 80% silver coins suffer from the same problem, they also rarely tone nicely. There are exceptions however; the 40% silver Ike proofs often display magnificent toning that was brought about by the 'brown box' packaging that they were sold in.
    Enjoy each day as though it was your last.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting coin; the color is likely NT, but I do NOT think they will grade it.image >>

Agreed on both counts.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TTT

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why am I thinking MS65?

• Options

<< <i>Did you give it a acetone rinse. I would to stabilize it and might help the luster.

Those 40% silver mint sets have some killer coins in them.

image >>

I let it sit in 100% pure acetone over night before submitting. It did infact help the luster a bit. Thanks for the advice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file