Home Sports Talk
Options

OT: Woman hit in face is suing Little League player

alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
Woman hit in face is suing Little League player

MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP, N.J. -- A New Jersey woman who was struck in the face with a baseball at a Little League game is suing the young catcher who threw it.

Elizabeth Lloyd is seeking more than $150,000 in damages to cover medical costs from the Manchester Little League game two years ago. She's also seeking an undefined amount for pain and suffering.

Lloyd was sitting at a picnic table near a fenced-in bullpen when she was hit with the ball. Catcher Matthew Migliaccio was 11 years old at the time and was warming up a pitcher.

"I ran over to see if she was all right," Migliaccio, who is now 13, told the Asbury Park Press. "She said she was OK. I was just on with warming the pitcher up, and I was not horsing around."

Anthony Pagano, a lawyer for Migliaccio and his family, says the lawsuit is "frivolous" and "disgusting."

A Little League spokesman said the league's insurance covers coaches and players but not spectators.

Bob Migliaccio, Matthew's father, told the Asbury Park newspaper that he thought the Manchester Little League or Little League International would assist the family after the incident.

"I want to be clear: The litigation does not shock me. People sue people every day," Bob Migliaccio told the Press. "What I was surprised about was the lack of answers and support from Little League. I cannot believe that they would not help out in this issue."

Lloyd's lawyer could not be reached.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page

Comments

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Wish I could be on that jury.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I can easily see this lawsuit (regardless of the outcome) leading to Little Leagues having to expand their coverage to include spectators. Since the only way to cover that would be to raise league fees, this woman might actually have just raised the cost of little league for everyone. That's my own speculation and I have no court room acting experience.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So these medical costs were not covered by health insurance?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can easily see this lawsuit (regardless of the outcome) leading to Little Leagues having to expand their coverage to include spectators. Since the only way to cover that would be to raise league fees, this woman might actually have just raised the cost of little league for everyone. That's my own speculation and I have no court room acting experience. >>

Or destroyed spectator sports as we know it.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I believe all sports tickets have a disclaimer on them stating that the customer assumes all risks associated with accidents involving the run of play. (i.e. batted balls, flying pucks, etc.). Obviously, that doesnt cover little league, high school, etc.

What I find funny is this thread and the "class act" thread side by side in this forum. This lady should be embarrassed and I hope that karma comes back to bite her in the behind.