Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Found a nice Mexican piece in the wild

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went to my regular B&M today. They had a large group of world coins they were sending off to melt and want to know if I wanted any at melt. I dug through found quite a few nice pieces and picked out anything I didnt see very often or anything I couldnt identify off the top of my head, total of 10 Oz's which with todays price wasnt bad. There was many unc coins from 1890-1950 I picked out even common date 8 reales.

This one piece I thought was a contempary conterfiet thats is why I bought it. Let me know what you think and if Im right with my findings.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, very cool!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep in mind the quality of these are not great to begin with

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I've seen slabbed genuine examples that look worse. Know anyone with a mass spectrometer? If the gold content is accurate, I'd say its real.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    Is this a commonly faked type or is it a readily availible piece. There are one or two on ebay currently with low auction prices(for now).

Also is Krause any where close on value?
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    It looks like you have KM 672 Taxco not KM 642 Guerrero. These are very crude to start with and I see nothing that leads me to think it is fake. KM prices are low
    IMO but it is a very thin market. Nice find for melt. It has .3g of gold. About $15 I think.

Here is my 1814 Guerrero KM 641 so you can compare some of the design elements.

imageimage
  • Options
    Ok I see it, hard to tell the difference between 672-673-674...the KM # arent in order in the book either. What are the 672a-b-c?
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Neat find! Seems like a strange alloy for a coin to have so little gold in it.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    KM 672a is made of brass, b lead and c copper instead of the gold silver alloy of KM 672

• Options
    Ill have to keep my eyes out for more finds like this, some of these have quite large dollar signs to go with them. My Mexican type set its gettin a bit full though. The dansco doesnt quite cut it.