Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Selling my German States "small change" collection -- to the right buyers!

When I joined this site, my primary focus was in collecting and acquiring various affordable pieces of what I consider "small change" from various states throughout the Holy Roman Empire. Since that time, after a lot of consideration and contemplation, I think it's time to put that beloved collection up on the auction block, in part to pay off my honeymoon from last year, and in part to finance a trip for next year to a as-yet-undecided location (strongest contender: Oaxaca and the D.F. in Mexico).

So, I guess this may not be entirely cricket, but I'd like to see if anyone out there in Darkside-land has any interest in any items in my collection of around 150 pieces (about 80 different series). Here are the parameters of my collection:

~50% secular principalities, duchies, landgrafs, markgrafs, and kingdoms from 1550 to 1806
~25% ecclesiastical territories, abbeys, and church towns from the late 16th century to 1806
~5% Free cities and towns to 1806
~20% Principalities and free cities, 1806-1871, including Austria

-- Most coins range from pfennig (including kipper and uniface issues) to 1/4 (or Orts-) thalers.
-- Includes one hammered issue -- a Hessen shield groschen from the early 15th century (likely issued under Ludwig I "the Peaceful" or Ludwig II "the Frank")
-- A number (~5) of wildman pfennig and pfenning and mariengrosch issues from both major branches of Brunswick
-- A few mintmaster jetons from German States mints.
-- One copy of Eklund's Copper Coins of the German States (a great reference for small change!)
-- Note that NONE of what I'm selling are post-unification (post-1871) issues (I take semantic and historical issue with 1871-1917 issues being labeled as "German States" series)

Please reply to this thread if you have any interest in what I may have to sell. If I get any interest in this, I'll post pictures of the areas people request that I target.

Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.

Comments

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Any 1760s-1806 Bavaria 2 pfennig coins?
  • Options
    I'm certain I have one, but I'll have to check. Is that the only series of Bavarian you collect?
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything from Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel, Luneberg, Calenburg, Hannover, etc. featuring the rearing Saxon steed? Or any with horse images in general?

I know many were issued, just too many years to mention. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    @Bjorn: I actually lack any 2 Pf pieces in that date range. I was never big on Bavaria, for some reason.

@brg: For some reason I was also never a huge Saxon horse variant collector; when I bought Brunswick, I tended to buy Wildman pieces, because their prices tend to hold up better in my neck of the woods. That being said, I have four Saxon horse pieces that I think represent a wide range, and some of them are very nice:

Going clockwise from the top left:

1. 1687 Brunswick-Lueneburg-Celle 1 1/2 Pfennig (KM# 321)
    2. 1805 Brunswick-Wolfenbuettel 1 Mariengrosch (KM# 1031) (Horse is nearly entirely worn off; still, this is a rarer series)
    3. 1858B Hannover Groschen (KM# 236)
    4. 1695 Brunswick-Wolfenbuettel 1/6 Thaler by Johann Christoph Baehr (KM# 617) -- That would be the prize of my Brunswick collection, aside from perhaps my mintmaster's jeton by Johann Benjamin Hecht, pictured below.

If you want a pic of an individual coin in better detail, let me know.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    If you want to PM the prices for the 4 horses, feel free (if they are for sale). I'm happy to work with you.
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    For some reason it won't let me. Do you have your PMs turned on?
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    I do now. Sorry about that. Until recently, I was just a lurker here and had all of that turned off. It should work now.

-Brandon

• Options
    Update: Sale pending on the Brunswick horse coins. I still have a ton of items left! Wild Men, hammered, rare states and cities you've never heard of!
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    Bump for the AM crew
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    Update for some Wildman pics!:

Selling as a set together with this:

Asking for $215.00 for the set, shipped to the U.S. Shipping outside the US will require registered mail.

NB: The bottom two wildman pfennigs were minted by mintmaster Johann Benjamin Hecht, whose jeton is pictured. I would almost insist they be sold together, unless someone really wanted to break apart this happy family.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    Bump
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay