Home Sports Talk
Options

Interesting Bill James Article-Dean Chance

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
There is a free article about great pitching performances at http://www.billjamesonline.com/the_greatest_of_games/

Most of you do not rememember Dean Chance, but he was great for a short period.

Chance pitched 50 innings in 1964 against the Yankees—the American League champions with a 99-63 record—and posted a 0.18 ERA in those 50 innings. He gave them 14 hits and one run in 50 innings. The one run was a solo home run by Mickey Mantle.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chance was a very talented pitcher. I remember reading that he would glare at his own teammates if they made a bad play on defense while he was pitching.

If you compare his 1967 and 1968 seasons you will see a great example of why wins is an overrated statistic. He was clearly a better pitcher in 1968 but his wins dropped from 20 to 16.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    His real downfall was that he was Bo Belinsky's buddy.
    Wondo

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dude was a lot like Luis Tiant. He only showed his back to the hitter and he was often wild. I remember him as a Tiger towards the end of he career when he was washed up but he did have his moments. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......