Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody here win this contemporary counterfeit shield nickel?

seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
Link to auction. I was the underbidder, I stumbled across it in my usual searching. Helpfully, the seller had a genuine 1868 nickel next to the fake one, making the differences stand out.

I remember years ago seeing a similar contemporary counterfeit 1851 three-cent silver, that one had the last letter in AMERICA repunched over an inverted A. I was kinda looking forward to studying this one in hand, but my bid was too low. image

Sean Reynolds
Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually a fairly nicely made contemporary counterfeit. I can see why it circulated successfully.

Cool coin and a good buy at the closing price of the auction.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Darn, missed that one. I really like those false die counterfeits. They are hard to find and usually sell for quite a bit more than this went for.

I own perhaps 10 false die counterfeits, but none dated 1869. Have only seen one once before.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    That would have fooled me, but I don't see how you could be an underbidder on this.
    These things are worth close to $100 or more when properly attributed.

Sean, if you ever come across another 1851 TCS A over inverted A in AMERICA, please let me know.
    I would like to improve the photo I have in the TCS book Kevin Flynn and I wrote; I have been a
    little skeptical of its counterfeit authenticity up to this point, considering it may have just been
    caused by environmental damage.
  • Options

<< <i>That would have fooled me, but I don't see how you could be an underbidder on this.
    These things are worth close to $100 or more when properly attributed. >>

I was an underbidder because I didn't realize how much they were worth, I just thought it was cool. image I'm also being careful not to get overextended, as there are a couple of other auction I'm watching very intently. If I knew I could have quickly flipped it, I would have been more aggressive.

<< <i>Sean, if you ever come across another 1851 TCS A over inverted A in AMERICA, please let me know.
    I would like to improve the photo I have in the TCS book Kevin Flynn and I wrote; I have been a
    little skeptical of its counterfeit authenticity up to this point, considering it may have just been
    caused by environmental damage. >>

Funny you mention this - the nickel reminded me so much of that coin, I went looking for references to it and that search led to your book. I'm not involved in that series enough to buy it (yet), but I was very curious if the authors knew of it or mentioned it in the text. I can tell you the coin I saw was on a local CT bid board in the mid 1990s, it graded Fine or so and my jaw fell open when I saw the variety. I have no doubt whatsoever it was a repunched letter and not damage. I told the owner of the store that the coin was counterfeit but he let the coin stay up, and sometime later I must have been overbid on it. I've been looking off and on for another example ever since, or even someone who had seen another example to confirm my attribution, so reading your post made my night.

Sean Reynolds

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Sean, looks like I will need to keep a closer eye out for 1851's. They should be tough to spot on eBay!
  • Options
    Sorry for the bad pics. But could this be a contemporary counterfeit?

I've had it lying around for a while. It's dated 1861. Any idea as to value?

Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    That looks like a contemporary counterfeit 3c to me!

As far as the recent eBay counterfeit selling for $100, I think that's a bit high. You have to take condition into account, and the condition of this one was less than outstanding. I have paid as much as a bit over $100 for a contemporary counterfeit that was in really nice shape.
  • Options
    Morgantype, that is definitely a contemporary counterfeit 1861 3c silver. As to value, Stone would be the right person to comment on that; you could send him a PM.

• Options
    I'll make it public knowledge what I think the value of your Bogo 3cS is worth.

It is a very common date for counterfeits of this type, along with also being a common die marriage for this counterfeit.
    I would easily pay $40 for it, but probably not more than $60-70.

I would estimate there are upwards of x500 3cS contemporary counterfeits in existence (in all shapes and forms);
    this is up from my estimate of 100-150 from just a couple years ago!
  • Options

<< <i>It is a very common date for counterfeits of this type, along with also being a common die marriage for this counterfeit.

I would estimate there are upwards of x500 3cS contemporary counterfeits in existence (in all shapes and forms);
    this is up from my estimate of 100-150 from just a couple years ago! >>

Although the 1861 is a common date counterfeit, it is still COOL!

I agree with Stone's comments as to value and rarity. Thanks!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It is a very common date for counterfeits of this type, along with also being a common die marriage for this counterfeit.

this is up from my estimate of 100-150 from just a couple years ago! >>

Although the 1861 is a common date counterfeit, it is still COOL! >>

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The op coin sounds like something dooly ATS would have jumped on. He may post here.

Posting this one just for fun.
    Larry

• Options
    Gentlemen,

Thank you for the feedback.

I appreciate the knowledge that everyone so willingly shares.

Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    Another contemporary counterfeit 1869 Shield nickel sold on eBay last night, unfortunately I didn't win this one either.

Sean Reynolds

• Options
    Asleep at the switch again! Trouble is, I usually don't go look at auction for low grade coins. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file