Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How do you say WTF in Spanish?

Exhiibit A:

Teletrade 1957 5 Peso

KM# 469 (Mexico), NGC MS-63
Current Bid: $6,400.00

Surely someone has to be kidding. Is that really what a pop top modern piece brings? Makes me want to get my 5 pesos graded. Apparently CU states that one in 63 has sold for $25,000.00. Krause, on the other hand, says a 63 is valued at $15.00.

I guess its probably legit, and Krause is wrong (as I usually assume), but I (having never researched it) wouldn't have guessed THIS would go for THAT.
Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With over 3 million mintage (according to Buttrey's "Mexican Decimal Coins") I don't know what is driving that price.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ¡Hay caramba!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find Teletrade prices pretty high in general. Not really clear where the demand is coming from.
  • Options
    I guess WTF would be AQC in Spanishimage

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta be a "No Sale"...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Muygrandeoso +1
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    I'm not into this population stuff but where it says pop in all grades 2 does that mean only 2 of the 3 million have been graded? I have a BU roll of these in the silver box maybe I should pick the best couple out and send them to teletrade for grading and sale.
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    WTF = Chili Queso Burrito
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This lot was not sold. >>

At that price I would have sold it. Obviously some TT seller is playing games? Or he really thought it was worth over $7000.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WTF = Chili Queso Burrito >>

Becky
  • Options
    On Teletrade, where do they get the "market price" guide numbers from? During the auction last night it listed CU as advising that the item was worth ~$20K, although it didn't list the Krause price. Is that something a consignor can just fill in himself?
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    It's a common coin that comes in GEM. Somebody already mentioned that they had a roll and when I collected Mexico, the 1957 was available by the roll. In 63 it's just worth melt plus the slab.

3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me wonder what my 10 Peso 1957 Constitutions could be worth
    with a mintage of 100,000image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a common coin that comes in GEM. Somebody already mentioned that they had a roll and when I collected Mexico, the 1957 was available by the roll. In 63 it's just worth melt plus the slab.

3Mark >>

Actually, in 63, I'd say it's just worth melt, and the guy who paid to have it put in plastic can eat that cost himself. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pathetic

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Notice that it did'nt sell. Maybe someone put the decimal in the wrong place.
  • Options
    No, seriously, the values listed in the "price guide" were $19K for 60, and $21K for 63. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying this was intentionally priced at $6,400.00, and had at least one bid at $6,400.00.

Doesn't teletrade set its own prices? Surely for consignments like that it doesn't rely on the seller? Also, they don't let you do things in decimal points (ie: all costs are in dollars only, not cents). So at 6.4K, 640, or 64, this thing is still way overpriced.
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No, seriously, the values listed in the "price guide" were $19K for 60, and $21K for 63. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying this was intentionally priced at $6,400.00, and had at least one bid at $6,400.00.

Doesn't teletrade set its own prices? Surely for consignments like that it doesn't rely on the seller? Also, they don't let you do things in decimal points (ie: all costs are in dollars only, not cents). So at 6.4K, 640, or 64, this thing is still way overpriced. >>

The consignor can either sell through the auction unreserved, or they can place a reserve bid. They will, however, have to pay the buyers fee if they buy-back the coin (IIRC, up to maybe $100). You used to only have to pay the buyers fee once, and then you could re-auction the coin in 4-5 weeks (whenever the next opening occurred).

Also, TT used to kick the "current" bid up to the consignor's reserve at 6:00 pm ET regardless of whether there have been any bids placed on the lot.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several years ago, I was shooting pool with a friend at a Mexican restaurant after dinner. One of the waiters was playing pinball while on a break. When his ball would drain, his exclamation was, "Huaituqué!" (I'm spelling it phonetically in Spanish.)