Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help Identifying Coin

Aside from what NGC has put on the insert, does anyone know anything about this coin/medal? Ideally I'd like to find the mintage (if known) and the fineness/weight of the metals. I can't find anything at all about this piece in Google Land.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a few quick searches and wasn't able to find anything. I'll dig some more into it tonight.
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I did a few quick searches and wasn't able to find anything. I'll dig some more into it tonight. >>

Thanks for looking!
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a medal, not a coin. NGC got the attribution wrong, as it is not a 500 Lire coin as noted. It was issued in 1992 to celebrate the 500th Anniversary of the Discovery of America.

The original issued description card specifies the following:

Specifications:
    Gold 0.917 fineness; diameter 32.2mm; weight 15.9g
    Platinum 0.950 fineness; diameter 22.2mm; weight 15.2g
    Limited Mintage to 4,000 pieces

Description:
    Obverse: Effigy of Christopher Columbus surrounded by the inscriptoin "Scoperta dell'America V Centenario" (500th Anniversary of the Discovery of America)

Reverse: In the center of a globe it shows a caravelle on a wave and the official emblem of the Columbus Celebration '92.

Design: by M.A. Cassol and E. Driutti, Rome, June 1991

EDIT: Based on the size of the medal you posted, it doesn't look 32.2mm in diameter. But, it is definitely not a 500Lire coin...maybe the issue care I quoted above was for a different sized medal? I'm still hunting, but hopefully this gets you started at least?

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    From what I found it appears to have been a 5 piece set.

Here's a rough translation from an italian auction catalog (no image). You can see the catalog here: Click Me

Series 1992 Mint medals, commemorating the discovery of the Americas. Set of 5 pieces. D / ribbon semi-circular
    with the emblems of the United States, Italy and Genoa, around graphic stylization of the number "500". R / Front Chest
    Christopher Columbus, a caravel in the background. Same subject for five pieces. Opus E. Driutti and MA
    Cassol. Total weight gr. 101 tit. 917. In original packaging. Slightly worn.
    FS
  • Options
    This bimetallic piece is a slightly different design than what is described in that catalog.

The catalog describes this design: Clicky

But, on the OP's posted medal, the caravelle is on the reverse, and the Columbus bust is on the obverse -- so while the designs are similar, I think this bi-metallic medal was not a part of that 5 piece set?

=============================

Here's the original link I used to read off of the description card issued with the medal. But, I really don't think that the medal posted in the OP is 32.2mm diameter...

Link here
    -Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    You're right, different medal in my post.
  • Options
    Found an image and description on the WBCC (World Bimetalic Collectors club)

Bi-metallic Columbus commemorative...by Frans Woons, Canada

In ebay I saw this week a Bi-metallic commemorati Columbus.
    Item: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1227954924
    (Auction has ended now)
    The text with the offer say:

A beautiful Bi-metal coin that contains 8.09 grams of gold and 7.46 grams of
    platinum. This coin commemorates the 500 year anniversary of Columbus. The
    center of the coin in Platinum and the outer portion of the coin is gold.
    This is piece 61 of 5000. This coin was issued in 1991/92 by the Istituto
    Polygrafico E Zecca Dello Stato.
    --Unquote

The seller (Lloyd G. Button III, MCSE) was so kind to pernit the pictures
    in the WBCC Homepage.

Link to the WBCC images page for Italy.
  • Options

<< <i>Found an image and description on the WBCC (World Bimetalic Collectors club)

Bi-metallic Columbus commemorative...by Frans Woons, Canada

In ebay I saw this week a Bi-metallic commemorati Columbus.
    Item: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1227954924
    (Auction has ended now)
    The text with the offer say:

A beautiful Bi-metal coin that contains 8.09 grams of gold and 7.46 grams of
    platinum. This coin commemorates the 500 year anniversary of Columbus. The
    center of the coin in Platinum and the outer portion of the coin is gold.
    This is piece 61 of 5000. This coin was issued in 1991/92 by the Istituto
    Polygrafico E Zecca Dello Stato.
    --Unquote

The seller (Lloyd G. Button III, MCSE) was so kind to pernit the pictures
    in the WBCC Homepage.

Link to the WBCC images page for Italy. >>

Jackpot! That's it I think! Nice detective work Roman! image
    -Brandon

• Options
    Hope that helps. Still doesn't seem like a lot of information, though.
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent. Thanks very much, TwoKopeiki and brg5658, for your efforts! I'm glad to finally know the melt value and supposed mintage. What a bizarre little piece, for sure.

Thanks again, you two!

Chris