Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Vintage Bank bags

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone here collect them?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    Do you mean canvas mint bags and bank bags, or just bank bags? I have an interest in them, but tend to save my budget for coins, of course I wouldn't mind owning some pertaining to my specific numismatic interests.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    I do.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    I collect them, are well as buy and sell them. Mint bags, from early twentieth and nineteenth century, are very collectable. National bank bags are generally not as valuable, except to someone who collects national bank notes and related items.

They frame up very nicely and are true Numismatic Americana.

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few and like them, but I wouldn't want to collect a lot of them. Just seems like the type of thing that would be sold for $5 a box at my estate sale.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have a few but know others that are big into it. id check the clubs out in the area
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them when they are full image

Edward

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Sort of - I keep my 90% in them. I have one from the town of Blue Balls that is my favorite.
  • Options
    Does anyone wish to share pictures of the bank bags they own? Some are very neat.
    I had POSITIVE transactions with the following 31 members == Mach19 - Robkool - KollectorKing - ASUtodd - Coppercoins - Kalshacon - Whatsup - Commoncents05 - Cartwheel - Marmac - Thatoneguy - Collectorcoins - Delistamps - Bestmr - Cwazzy - Ajia - Nefprollc - Grote15 - Rampage - Grip - Rpmhunter - Chumley - 2272DavidG - Utahcoin - Cohodk - Ajbauman - Sportsmoderator1 - Sevensteps - Windycity - Pitboss - Starfish
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure what counts as vintage, but I collect bank bags from the First National Bank And Trust Company In Waynesboro, PA.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've collected vintage canvas bags (with the drawstrings and cinch beads) from National Banks that were solvent during the charter period. Not a lot of decent survivors though, as most were improperly stored over a long time frame.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've picked up a half-dozen over the years. Nothing exceptional. I got this one at our architectural salvage co-op of all places a few months back. Someone must have found it on a job site. Paid a buck for it.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

Here's a terrific leather bank bag (not mine) from a recent thread on the currency forum.

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

One of mine - probably dates to the '60s or '70s:

• Options
    anyone got some gold ....this town is less than 10 minutes from me i have no idea what its worth but really like it
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • Options
    njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    A few rules of thumb:

Ninetieth century branch mint bags are the most valuable. Carson City, New Orleans, etc. I know of a Carson City bag, marked $10,000 gold, that sold for...$10,000. Gold bags command more than silver bags (duh). The most common bag, because of the GSA hoard, is the $1,000 Carson City silver dollar bag. Twentieth century gold bags (generally for Saints or $5 libs) fall into this category.

Twentieth century, early to mid century I should say, are next in demand. Peace dollar bags, Buffalo nickels, Walkers etc. Classic commemorative bags are in this category (Stone Mountain, San Diego, etc).

Next comes National Bank bags. Great names command a good premium (Blue Ball, Intercourse, etc.). Many collectors of National bank notes like to have an example to go with their collection, even though the bags probably never held paper money.

Lastly, and about equal in value are late twentieth century Federal Reserve, United States Mint, and ho-hum bank bags (3rd First National Bank of No Where U.S.A.). And while they are cool, there isn't really much collector demand for Kennedy Half, Ike dollars, ect (although they make a great go with when you display a collection.

Again, these are only my rules of thumb, other dealers and collectors may have a different view (and pricing structure).

Feel free to make comments or corrections...

njcc

www.numismaticamericana.com
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect Scottish and American bank bags. My oldest are from North of Scotland bank and were used for halfcrowns. I also have assorted US Mint and Royal Canadian mint bags - curiously the RCM used to ship their cents out in $60 bags - they are monster sized bags and I really like them when I can find them because they make good holders for my Swedish plate money.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Don't collect them, but I think they are cool......keep the pictures coming.

Side bar, your Honor

I think the coolest bags I have seen, are the old Carson City Mint bags. There is an old (sorry for the old) dealer out of the Portland area. George Eggiman one of my mentors, and friend for over 25 years.
    He used to "traffic" in the CC mint bags... some dated, some not, some old, some new... I thought they were very cool.
    I'm just sayin
    I'm Just Sayin"

http://www.coinshop.com
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    CeephusCeephus Posts: 73 ✭✭
    It's nice to see these get some appreciation. Here's a few from my collection.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff, gotta love this board.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, how many of you can say you're still holding a dime bag from the 70's? image

Actually the bag is great, it holds 3 Dansco's perfectly with half folded over. That's what I use it for. The Wells Fargo / Nevada State Museum bag was a gift while on an ANA tour there; it holds my Whitman type set, also perfectly. The other side says "U.S. Mint, Carson City, NV"
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 1933 US gold bullion bag somewhere, I'll have to rummage it up and get a photo. Not sure what kind of bullion it held...I don't think anything of that date went public.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, how many of you can say you're still holding a dime bag from the 70's? image >>

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i get a kick out of the ones that say "Return To...................." image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file