Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Picked up a nice vintage lot this morning '53-'56

So I get a call last night from a coworker who told me he picked up some older cards while he was on vacation. He asked if I would be interested in them since he does not collect and only picked them up because he knew I did. We decided to get together this morning and he brought along the lot of around 300 or so '53 - '56 topps. Here are some scans of the lot and you can assume correctly that my buddy does not own them any longer. The scans are an overall representation of what the lot looks like.

I would like to here opinions on how you think the Koufax, Killebrew, Aaron and the 2 Mays would grade. Thanks!

Comments

• TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Very nice looking group of cards!

Koufax looks extremely nice for a mid-grade card, with nice horizontal centering; it would probably be a 6 on a good day and at worst a 5.

Killebrew is nice as well, but doesn't have great centering; again, probably a 5 or 6, as a 6 it may get an OC.

Aaron is probably a 5.

The Mays on the left is a 5-6, the Mays on the right is probably more of a 5 but may garner a qualifier of some sort for the centering/diamond-cut issue.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice cards Stoney. Congratulations on some really good pickups!

Where did your friend pick them up?
    Mike
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pick up!

I love friends like that
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just outside of Montgomery coming back from the beach.
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Dawg, those are some dang nice looking cards. Love the Koufax and Killebrew rookies. The 53's are sharp too. Good job. I agree with TonyC on the grades.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice clean '53's you got there. Congrats
  • Amazing pick up. Amazing friend.
  • Good pickup DAWG!!!! Great to see a real SEC boy on here! image
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Very nice pick up
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did he get those cards? He was on vacation and happened to come across a lot of that condition and picked them up for you? Wow hard to believe, those are gorgeous looking cards.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭
    Those are my kind of cards!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome looking cards! Ive been looking for a lot around me for a while now with no luck lately.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)