Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grade help please 1770 1/2p

I still have trouble grading this early copper, Will this grade XF

thanks
Ken

If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• Options
    Looks like a nice AUish + piece, can you adjust the lighting a bit? Too difficult make out the high points to accurately grade.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    heres another one I tried with the point and shoot camera

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    The obverse certainly looks Au in the images, not so sure if the reverse may keep it from an overall XF though. The second set of images seem to show a lot of wear, maybe down to VF30-35 on the reverse.
  • Options
    Much better pics. Agree with what JCM said. Still really nice, I'll take it. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    I do have a hard time grading this British stuff, I guess my mind is still in US mode. Looking at this coin in hand if it were a US piece I have a fairly high confidence it would grade AU so by European standards I'm thinking EF. What makes it hard is the hugh price difference between VF and EF. When I go to shows I try to look at all the graded British coins I can but if they are graded by US TPGs are they graded by US or European critera? I did pick up a Spink book and those prices are higher so I assume they are by European grading. Is there a Photograde book for British coins like our Host supplies us for US?

Thanks
    Ken
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a tough one- in part because of the image- I do not see AU under any circumstances. The coin looks as if it has been restored and the surfaces have that look which because of the image is not helping the cause

The second image of the obverse shows a general flatness which seems to be wear more so than the strike

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I truly don't see AU surfaces here sorry - more like EF40-45 tops - but who knows a picture can lie ye know image
    Good luck.
  • Options
    I purchased the coin for over VF money and less than EF money but the price spread is vf/ 70 GBP to ef/ 295 GBP I paid 140 GBP but I'm not real sure of the grading so I guess I'm just trying to find out if I got a good deal or paid some more tuition...image