Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

2013 Krause -Horrible news, the end of the world in edit.

Well the good news is that anyone waiting for price changes on moderns can
just go ahead and buy last year's edition and save a lot of money on this one. image

I've just gone through it once but there's just a decrease in Danish and nominal
increases in pre-decimal British, Greek, Icelandic, select Indian proof sets, Malaysia,
and select Dutch 25c.

It's even more dissappointing than two years ago and ironically the odor (stench)
is back. It's not as strong as it was though.

see 4th post
Tempus fugit.

Comments

• Beats my 2006! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Beats my 2006! image >>

That is out of date.

I strongly recommend the 2012 and you should be able to pickit up for just five or ten dollars.

There are a lot of prices at many multiples of what they were in '06.
    Tempus fugit.
    Apparently the problems in Spain have proven more than can be bourne
    by the world economy so it has been edited out of history. But it's hardly
    alone and even some once solid economies no longer exist or ever did ex-
    ist. I'm afraid this includes Panama. Taiwan has always been reported
    under China since this is the politically correct position for the US media
    but now it's never existed at all. Sorry for all those people with family there
    or of Taiwanese extraction... ...it was nice knowing you.

There are other countries missing as well but I'll report back with a more
    complete list. Good luck no matter what nationality you are.

This will be the sorriest excuse yet for Krause. Buy an older copy.
    Tempus fugit.
    There are some significant price increases in pre-soviet Russia. Some of these appear
    strange. There are also a couple modern 1R commemms reported with far higher prices
    including, surprisingly, the 1970 Lenin. This coin had a mintage of 100 million and one
    would think many would be saved but perhaps not.
    Tempus fugit.
    On the bright side there seemed to be some new countries invented.
    Tempus fugit.
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Maybe if they spent more time getting it right than getting a "new" issue out every year?

<< <i>Maybe if they spent more time getting it right than getting a "new" issue out every year? >>

It did give me an interesting idea though.

They could just print a "master" edition every ten years (maybe hard cover like the '86) and
    then issue "supplements" each year. Normally they update only a few countries anyway so
    it would save a lot of trees and money. With more resources maybe they could actually list
    more accurate prices.

Their costs would drop dramatically but the profit wouldn't necessarily since they'd be selling
    lots of the hard covers between issues.

There must be some way to improve this product. It's almost like the first edition just keeps
    getting printed year in and year out. Most collectors want to see the NCLT issues but why
    clutter the entire catalog with the same thing year after year? Why run the Marshall Islands
    at all since tghey aren't even really coins? The catalog needs to be trimmed and then brought
    right up to date (2013). It could be half the size. Then they could add an NCLT catalog for
    coins that don't have a counterpart in circulation.

I suppose I'll have to keep buying it no matter but it's a wonder they can sell any other copies.

The 2012 edition really isn't too bad and includes Spain!

Mebbe they just listed it under El Espana or something and I'll find it yet. They sure like chang-
    ing the names of countries.
    Tempus fugit.
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    They really just need to go digital & save trees entirely! Having everything updated instantaneously & available at your fingertips from the "cloud" would make so much more sense these days! Kind of like getting rid of printing phone books, Encyclopedia Brittanica, etc!

No more lugging-around huge, heavy tomes! A way to inventory qualities & conditions of all coins you own that appear in the catalog. And more!

Just think...... an omission of a country like Panama could be instantly corrected. Prices could be updated to reflect real-world events & conditions..............

It's the 21st Century... time for Krause & collectors to adapt.......

Eventually, collecting print versions of Krause might be a branch of coin-related collecting in itself, with its own grading & valuations! image

- - Daveimage
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>Having everything updated instantaneously & available at your fingertips from the "cloud" would make so much more sense these days! >>

Assuming it was updated regularly, that is. Otherwise, all you'd have is the same old outdated and inaccurate information, just presented in another format.

<< <i>

<< <i>Having everything updated instantaneously & available at your fingertips from the "cloud" would make so much more sense these days! >>

Assuming it was updated regularly, that is. Otherwise, all you'd have is the same old outdated and inaccurate information, just presented in another format. >>

I'd wager there are at least 20 countries that have never been updated
    except to add new dates.

I have a really good feel for most of the rare world moderns but I turn to
    Krause to tell me where the demand is. I can't believe there is simply no
    demand in the last 40 years for most of the rarities. How did they get to
    $2 in the first place if there's no demand?
    Tempus fugit.
    They messed up the pictures for the English shillings.
    Tempus fugit.
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They really just need to go digital & save trees entirely! Having everything updated instantaneously & available at your fingertips from the "cloud" would make so much more sense these days! Kind of like getting rid of printing phone books, Encyclopedia Brittanica, etc!

No more lugging-around huge, heavy tomes! A way to inventory qualities & conditions of all coins you own that appear in the catalog. And more!

Just think...... an omission of a country like Panama could be instantly corrected. Prices could be updated to reflect real-world events & conditions..............

It's the 21st Century... time for Krause & collectors to adapt.......

Eventually, collecting print versions of Krause might be a branch of coin-related collecting in itself, with its own grading & valuations! image

- - Daveimage >>

DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    I think that Krause just needs to issue the 20th Century book every 3-4 years like the 17th, 18th, and 19th Century books. Why you ask? No brainer - we are 11 years in this century and does anyone think that there are coins from the last century that has yet to see the light of day - come on? As to the 21st Century book - that should be the only one issued yearly though due to Krause's habit of errors, I think, in reality, they should issued every two years so that the errors will become very, very minimal at best.

Now, I have been buying the CD/DVD's for the last couple of years since I go to shows (the books, as anyone knows, are not exactly light.) All of the CD's (including the ones for world currency) are on my laptop but I would like to put it on a tablet computer (and no, I will not in any way buy a "Crapple" iPad - going for a tablet that runs on Android.) I only wish Krause would make all of their current titles digital (after all, they use desktop publishing when they work on these books.)

And that's more than my 2 cents worth! image
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.