Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Polker coin?

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I was emailing this fellow In Great Britain who was telling me he found a small hoard of polkers while metal detecting and told me as a lot I could have them for 3 GBPs each as a lot, not wanting to sound like an idiot I told him I'd get back to him. I guess my first question is what the heck is a polker? is this a denomination, a specific coin or what? he did say they were 1500s and 1600s... thanks in advance for any light you can shine into my toolshed before I hurt myself image

Ken
If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......

Comments

• Options
    He likely means smaller-denomination coins of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. I'd be curious to know where he found them while metal detecting in Great Britain -- they are a Polish coin after all.

See, for instance: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces22122.html
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    Ken
    We have found quite alot of silver coins -some I havent even looked at ready for EBAY.....I know we have approx 900 Polkers that we found as part a small smelting works near the Thames in london a few weeks ago- if interested in these let me know

LOL I even have a hard time reading these emails
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    Well, who knows. Perhaps there was a lot of money to be made some time ago by importing and hoarding polkers (which were very common), and smelting them into bars or bullion?
    Yes, I do sell on Ebay

Feel free to ask for my BST references!

*I reserve the right to change the direction of my collection at whiplash-inducing speeds.